Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

connecting amp to ve original radio

t0m3kkk_ve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA
hi there just wondeirng if it is possible to connect an amp to a ve orignal radio...
seen it can be done with the vy/vz and was worndering if anyone would be able to tell me how to do it with the ve

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Yes it can. Phreddy can hook you up with an RCA mod. ASR Audio & Electronics

Or alternatively you can use a LOC but it won't be as good as hard wiring in some RCAs.

mi04se1

need for speed
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8GT
Use a line out

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
If youre just wanting to power a sub off the amp youre connecting up, then a LOC (line out converter) will work fine. Ive used even the cheap Jaycar ones in VEs without a drama. All you need to do is remove the underside of the parcel shelf and tap into the rear speaker wires (you can still leave the rear speakers connected), then run these wires to the LOC.....from there youve got RCA outputs to the amp. If you want a power souce to turn the amplifier on / off with the ignition you'll need to remove the drivers side of the centre console to access an unused handsfree kit plug, this has accessories power in it so just attach a wire to that and run it to the amp. The wire is in a white plug, its brown / yellow.

If youre wanting to run full range speakers (like splits) off the amp i suggest you either get Phreddy from ASR (site sponsor) to mod your unit to have RCA outputs or spend a few hundred on a very good quality line out converter, like the Rockford 3sixty.

Unit_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SV6 M6
Hi there.

I'm trying to put my LOC in and am having trouble finding the rear speake wires that I'll be tapping into.

I've got a MY09.5 VE SV6 so not too sure if I've got speakers in my rear parcel shelf.

And which wire should I tap into so that the amp turns on itself when the car is on?

Cheers.

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Unit 01: Not sure about your speaker question but as for what wire tap into any accessory circuit, cigarette lighter etc.. I think should work?

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
If you want a power souce to turn the amplifier on / off with the ignition you'll need to remove the drivers side of the centre console to access an unused handsfree kit plug, this has accessories power in it so just attach a wire to that and run it to the amp. The wire is in a white plug, its brown / yellow.

Not sure on the speaker wires either.....arent the speakers in the rear doors?

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yep, you'll need to tap into the wiring before it goes into the door, just below the seatbelt bolt in the B pillar is a good spot, just make sure youve got the right wires though ;)

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
If youre just wanting to power a sub off the amp youre connecting up, then a LOC (line out converter) will work fine. Ive used even the cheap Jaycar ones in VEs without a drama. All you need to do is remove the underside of the parcel shelf and tap into the rear speaker wires (you can still leave the rear speakers connected), then run these wires to the LOC.....from there youve got RCA outputs to the amp. If you want a power souce to turn the amplifier on / off with the ignition you'll need to remove the drivers side of the centre console to access an unused handsfree kit plug, this has accessories power in it so just attach a wire to that and run it to the amp. The wire is in a white plug, its brown / yellow.

If youre wanting to run full range speakers (like splits) off the amp i suggest you either get Phreddy from ASR (site sponsor) to mod your unit to have RCA outputs or spend a few hundred on a very good quality line out converter, like the Rockford 3sixty.

MMM interesting, because the phone kit plug is behind the glovebox and the accessorie wire is a brown wire, i dont think there is another under the centre console holden boy unless im wrong, but he is talking about a VE commodore..