Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Steering wheel controls for Stereo

RichardW

Reaction score
Hi all,
I had a look through the forum and couldnt find the answer to my question, I am surprised that no one had not asked this before.

I have a VY and have installed a AMP and different speakers using the stock head unit with Hi-Lo Converters etc, job was done professionally and I have a whinging noise (from engine) coming through my speakers. I have tried all advice that people have given and it has not fixed the problem.

I have really got the sh*ts with it and have decided that I am going to replace the head unit with something that is good quality rather than the crap Holden have put in. Who puts in units that have no RCA outputs these days, come on.

My question, is there a way to still use the controls on the steering wheel, or if I change th head unit do I lose them?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
NO ONE makes a head unit without RCAs these days. Besides, it's pretty simple to add RCAs to yours.

9/10 times you lose your steering wheel controls when you replace your HU, but there are some that have it as an optional extra. Perhaps someone else here could tell you what make and model they are. Although, I do not believe them to be cheap.

B

bdcmedia

There are NO head units that utilize these controls directly. What you have to do is buy and aftermarket device that basically takes the IR control from your new head unit and is connected to the wheel controls. So when you control your new head unit it is actually being controlled by the remote control via Infra Red.

S

Spyder

ive been told about one of those, didnt know they were ir tho.
ive been told $250 for one of those

RichardW

Reaction score
trunkrattler said:
NO ONE makes a head unit without RCAs these days. Besides, it's pretty simple to add RCAs to yours.

9/10 times you lose your steering wheel controls when you replace your HU, but there are some that have it as an optional extra. Perhaps someone else here could tell you what make and model they are. Although, I do not believe them to be cheap.
So how do you add RCA outputs to it? The way that it has been done on mineis by using the speaker wires. This is what has caused the buzzing/whinging. If you have another way please let me know.

Thanks

Rich

RichardW

Reaction score
bdcmedia said:
There are NO head units that utilize these controls directly. What you have to do is buy and aftermarket device that basically takes the IR control from your new head unit and is connected to the wheel controls. So when you control your new head unit it is actually being controlled by the remote control via Infra Red.
Thanks for the reply. That sounds what I am after. What are they called? Do you know of any manufactors? The more information the better.

Thanks

Rich

boardyboy1979

Reaction score
RichardW said:
Thanks for the reply. That sounds what I am after. What are they called? Do you know of any manufactors? The more information the better.

Thanks

Rich

The Steering control to IR converters are made my Stinger Australia. Fairly sure they are brand (JVC) and model (VX)specific.

I'm still waiting for mine.

J

Johnny9

I asked the same question to a guy a JB HI FI. He told me that Pioneer, JVC and Some Sony HU are compatable with the steering wheel buttons. You need to buy a module(as stated above) which is worth around $200.

Good luck!

r0nniem

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Cat

Stinger sell a product called CAT. Works with Alpine, Clarion, JVC, Kenwood, Panasonic, Pioneer and Sony head units with Infra-red. Works in HOLDEN VT/VX, HOLDEN VS, HOLDEN VY, HOLDEN BARINA, HOLDEN ASTRA, VECTRA ... just a matter of adjusting a couple of Jumper pins on the board for audio brand and vehicle type.