Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

In Car DVD Players

Josheh

Soon to be Boater
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
SOLD - VX, Now have MY14 CRUZE
In Car DVD Players -THREATENED SUED

READ LAST POST PLEASE

Hey guys, Already have a thread in the VT / VX section, But i feel it's not seen by many people who know a thing or two about these.

I'm looking at Buying a Double Din DVD Player for my VX, That has GPS/Bluetooth/USB, Most of them will have TV/DVD as well but Isn't needed, And probably would never use that.

I'm on quite a small budget, I don't want to spend too much, Since the screen isn't really much of a matter for me, As long as i can see the GPS It's good enough for me.

I've found a LOT on ebay for under $350 And this website has TONS:

// On the right change currency to Australian.

I was wondering if anyones ever brought one of these cheaper model Double Din DVD Players, And what's exactly needed to install?

Heres the questions I have:

1. People say if it has an ISO connector that It's just plug and play from the old cd player already in the VX? Is that true?

2. Do i need to buy some sort of frame from JB Hifi or something to go around the unit to make it look like a factory fitted job and not dodgy? Or do they come with one or something?

2. To get the GPS to work, I'm guessing I'll need to have a receiver "which would probably come with the player" And most are magnetic, Where do people put these little receiver boxes? Under the bonnet?

3. Is it really ALL that hard to do? My mechanic Installed my sub to my old cd player in my old vehicle, And He's going to probably give me a bit of a hand, I hope I'm not over my head with it...

Thank you.

Edit:

[url=URL REMOVED[/url]

80% Sure I'm going to buy this one, It seems like he's giving more information than most china sellers, He seem's to be Australian, And it comes with this ISO connector thing.... Thoughts for an Average Joe like me ?

Last edited:

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
I cant comment on the product itself as ive had no experience with them. But i do stress to take into consideration warranty and GPS map accuracy etc before making purchasing one. I have had experience with the "eonon" brand and it has been good.

In answers to your questions though:

1. Its not an ISO connector you need, as the standard Commodore stereo plug is not ISO. The stereo will need an ISO plug in order for you to connect a harness adapter with an ISO plug. Heres a link you what you will need if you go ahead with that product:
APP061.jpg
Its an APP 061.

2. As the standard head-unit in the VXs is a little bigger than an aftermarket double DIN, it will leave a small GAP at either the top of bottom of the unit. AFAIK theres no readily available facia kit, i usually just use a piece of 16mm MDF underneath the unit and hot glue a section of black ABS plastic to the front, so it covers that gap.

3. Definitely not that hard to do, the hardest part will be wiring the unit up if you dont have a harness adapter and making up the cover panel as ive explained above.

Josheh

Soon to be Boater
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Thank you very much mate, Can i buy those things from JB Hifi ? And how much will I be looking at for one ? If i buy one of those, Would the unit above just plug and play practically? "Aside from finding a place for the GPS Receiver?

P.S. this guy gives me 12 months warrenty, So I should be alright about that part.

I'm now 80% sure about this unit here, Would I kindly ask you too check that link and see if the same as what you say goes with needing that cords you just showed me mate? Thank you Very much.

Last edited:

Josheh

Soon to be Boater
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I'm talking to one of them live, and they are mentioning I'll just need this:

AP1784H **PLEASE TELL ME I CAN BUY THESE HARNESSES PRETTY REASONABLY PRICED LOCALLY LIKE JB HIFI / AUTOBARN...**

Which is:

Holden Commodore VT- VX Wiring Harness 1997 - 01

- This Harness enables you to wire aftermarket high powered radios to fit directly into your car wiring harness. Suit Holden Commodore VT- VX Wiring Harness.
- 1 x 14 pin plug

The one you sent me mate it says is for a vr/vs, I have a vx... So if i buy this product, its a simple plug and play install? hmmm I'm getting very confused and confuzzled right now.

EDIT:

Am i correct to say, That if i get an ISO harness, that plugs into the already iso thing in the back of my stereo / car, That all the other random plugs - these Are not needed? And that I would just use the 1 plug - Shown in the bottom left of the picture, and with the harness I buy from locally - Its just the 1 plug set? Or are all those other cables needed some how?

Hopefully, Someone can make me very unconfused by explaining simply what will be needed to do, I know someone on here would know, And i know it isn't that hard, I'm just making sure exactly what i need to do before i buy one of these. thanks.

Last edited:

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Theres not much info on the wiring in that link you posted, but by the looks of the pics its an ISO plug.

The AP1784H is a commodore plug (it plugs into the standard stereo plug in the car) and it has bare ends. Which means you will need to make the connections yourself. I would assume the wiring colours will be the same, so all you'll need to do is make the right connections (see the wiring colours thread) and solder them together. Then insulate with either heatshrink tubing or electrical tape.
Heres the pic:
AP1784H.jpg

I know the one i sent you is for a VR/VS, but that is what Aerpro has for the VT/VX, and IMO, will fit the VT/VX.

Not sure why he dosent recommend you buy that unit.....personally i'd save up the extra cash and buy something like the Pioneer AVIC-F310BT.....But ofcourse it up to you.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Alright, i'll try to catch up and answer all your questions, lol. ;)

Firstly, regarding the other plugs / sockets in that pic youve posted. Unless you have things like a reversing camera, iPod, TV tuner etc etc then you wont need to connect anything to these. They provide them so you can add extra things (like an reversing camera, iPod) if / when the time comes.

That link you posted does specify that it has a ISO plug, so yes, the APP 061 is what you will need. You can also use the other one but as i said it will require you to solder the joins yourself. I believe the VR/S are the same as VT/VX.

All your power and speaker wires are in the ISO plug. The only other connection you'll need to make are the GPS antenna (it goes on the dash BTW) and the bluetooth mic if it has one (goes up near the sunvisor).

Hope this helps, Andrew.
Oh yeah, happy easter :)
I

Josheh

Soon to be Boater
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Bloody awesome mate, thanks a ton!!! I'm pretty sure the mic is built into the dash of the player, So That shouldn't a problem, Nice it goes into the dash itself "GPS" and nice that I can easily do this stuff.

1 last question mate: Where else can i get the plug from, They're about 20 - 30 dollars, And I'd rather buy locally if possible, Jb Hifi, Autobarn, Motoquipe, Any actual retailers able to sell me this item?

And thanks, I know you said it should work, But i hope the APP 061 Isn't just for VR/VS, But i will trust you! thanks a lot mate.

EDIT:
I know I've changed my mind a couple of times, But After finding out we both got mixed up, And the seller is in Australia, And all my friends like his model better, I might get this one:

Seems better quality, Has Digital TV So if i ever decided I wanted to use TV in it I can "Analoge going out soon"

Thoughts on this model?

Last edited:

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yep all those retailers should have the plug in stock......its fairly common AFAIK.

As far as the APP 061 goes, all the models (VR-VX) used a Eurovox stereo, and the wiring colours are the same. So the only variable is the wires are at different locations on the plug, but thats unlikely. If Aerpro associate this harness with the VT-VX then thats good enough for me. (Please note i dont use harness adapters hence the reason why im not 100% sure).

Josheh

Soon to be Boater
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Thanks mate, I can just ask them anyway no biggy, When i go into Autobarn and what not..... And they will explain to me hopefully what needs to be done.

Any quick thoughts on that last player i showed and if theres any obvious bad things compared to the other one ? I've gone over it a couple of times, Can't find much wrong with it compared to the other one.