Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2x Alpine Type S 10's running of Alpine M350

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Hey,

I got this stereo in my car when I brought it.
2x Alpine Type S 10" subs running of a Alpine M350 (200 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (350 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms).
Alpine DD Linears running of a Alpine F250 (100 watts RMS x 2 bridged output at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode).

Just wondering what you guys thought of the Type S's? I think they sound rather odd, these are my first 10" subs, I've always had 12" subs (Alpine Type R & Hifonic 2412). I'm trying to decide why I don't like the sound... if it's the subs, amp, deck.. or tuning. To me it looks like black & gold wiring, it's a old Alpine deck (won't play burnt CD's - LOL - Getting it replaced on Thursday with a Alpine 9887 :D).

The setup looked pretty cheap, so I'm not sure what is the problem if not all of it. I know 10's are quicker etc.... i've never really heard 10's and I listen to DnB/HipHop type music.

Any thoughts on the Type S's or the Amps themselves?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
The subs themselves will take a bit more power than what that amp is giving them, even in a ported situation. A sub is only as good as it's enclosure, and if your not giving it suffucuent power, then obviously you will never hear it's full potential.
If underpowered, they will simply reach a point and distort, which is the disstorted signal being recieved from the amp, not a reflection of the performance capabilities of the sub themselves (otherwise known as clipping) which is most likely what your experiencing now.

They aren't a bad sub, but obviously limitied in thier abilities if your expecting ground shaking bass. In a smaller vehicle, such as yours, correctly tuned, they would compliment the muisc quite well though from an SQ point of view, but expect too much from them, and you will quickly realsie their limits.

A subsonic filter is also good for smaller, lower powered subs, as you can eliminate the more lower fq's, which would otherwise hinder there power handling capabilities. Keeping them tuned above, and below a certain point, to get the most out of them.

AutoSlick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Golf GTI Mk6
Well its a lower quality sub than anything you have used before. That could have something to do with it. Try a retune and see how you go.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
The subs themselves will take a bit more power than what that amp is giving them, even in a ported situation. A sub is only as good as it's enclosure, and if your not giving it suffucuent power, then obviously you will never hear it's full potential.
If underpowered, they will simply reach a point and distort, which is the disstorted signal being recieved from the amp, not a reflection of the performance capabilities of the sub themselves (otherwise known as clipping) which is most likely what your experiencing now.

They aren't a bad sub, but obviously limitied in thier abilities if your expecting ground shaking bass. In a smaller vehicle, such as yours, correctly tuned, they would compliment the muisc quite well though from an SQ point of view, but expect too much from them, and you will quickly realsie their limits.

A subsonic filter is also good for smaller, lower powered subs, as you can eliminate the more lower fq's, which would otherwise hinder there power handling capabilities. Keeping them tuned above, and below a certain point, to get the most out of them.

I was thinking the amp was clipping because it doesn't have that much power to it.
I forgot to mention the subs are in individual sealed enclosures.
I'm getting a new deck put in on thursday and hopefully get them to fix my aerial (it won't go down - got a new mast for it now - not even fused if it doesn't go back up... rarely listen to radio nyway). So I'll get them to have a look at the tuning. Also getting them to replace the RCA leads to Rockford ones just so I don't have to fiddle with them later on (like mentioned.. the wiring looks cheap).

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Well its a lower quality sub than anything you have used before. That could have something to do with it. Try a retune and see how you go.

Getting deck put in & Rockford RCA's instead of the cheap crap they had in before on Thursday & get them to retune it aswell. See if we could make these subs sound slightly better... if not... new subs will pushed closer to the top of my "To Buy List (When I Get Some Cash!)".

Hopeing better RCA's and new deck & tuning will improve the sound.... I also need to get my left speaker working... doesn't look blown but maybe cable damaged. Lots to do but never have time. Spent good 3hrs washing & machine polishing my car on the weekend.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Can't see the RCA's giving any audible improvement. I use basic UTP Jaycar RCA's with $2k front speakers and $1k front amp and it sounds alright :)

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Can't see the RCA's giving any audible improvement. I use basic UTP Jaycar RCA's with $2k front speakers and $1k front amp and it sounds alright :)

Hmm... you really have 2k front speakers? I thought you had Boston Z6's? didn't think they were that much. Can you really hear 2k worth?

Regardless. Umm... I just thought that the RCA's would have better shielding from interference and because if the signal is bad then the amp will just amplify the bad signal. Just thought trying to get the best signal would be the best option - to start at the beginning of the source. So upgraded headunit and good quality RCA's to amp & good tuning would be the best way to get the cleanest SQ.

Well that was my debate anyway..

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
RCA leads will have little, if no effect at all. Even cheap one's employ the same basic sheilding method. A little off topic, but i've even conducted blind test's at home, using the supplied interconnects, and a set costing $300, and i couldn't tell which was which.

A new deck on the other hand will make a difference's, as the amplifier "amplifies" the signal being sent to it, from the head unit.But like you said, the amp is insufficient, so until you have something suitable, there's not really much you can do.

Tuning is everything, and all though fairly basic, a lot of people get it wrong. It is all the little things that go together as a whole, to either complete, or improve a setup, but component selection such as amps and speakers, will always have the most audible difference, as aposed to high quality leads, and so forth.

What size are the enclosure's you currently have you sub's in? What's inside, bare MDF, dampening, do they have internal bracing, or just simply square empty boxes? Even cheap pre-fabs (sealed) can be improved upon without spending too much money.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
RCA leads will have little, if no effect at all. Even cheap one's employ the same basic sheilding method. A little off topic, but i've even conducted blind test's at home, using the supplied interconnects, and a set costing $300, and i couldn't tell which was which.

A new deck on the other hand will make a difference's, as the amplifier "amplifies" the signal being sent to it, from the head unit.But like you said, the amp is insufficient, so until you have something suitable, there's not really much you can do.

Tuning is everything, and all though fairly basic, a lot of people get it wrong. It is all the little things that go together as a whole, to either complete, or improve a setup, but component selection such as amps and speakers, will always have the most audible difference, as aposed to high quality leads, and so forth.

What size are the enclosure's you currently have you sub's in? What's inside, bare MDF, dampening, do they have internal bracing, or just simply square empty boxes? Even cheap pre-fabs (sealed) can be improved upon without spending too much money.

I can't really tell you much about the boxes. They seem to be built alright. I don't know Volume though... it's kinda of a odd shape to (made to fit the space I suppose). It's got white cushioning stuff inside. I think a Car Audio place did the install for the boxes.. it looks quite professional.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Got my deck put in last night (Alpine 9887), also ran some new RCA's.

Apparently the MR2 doors have some depth so Alberts said should fit Alpine R's.... Which I think is strange because why would they have put DD Linears in if anything fitted?

Also got my aerial fixed! No it isn't always out! But the Aerial sits lower than the old one. So now theres kind of like a hole from the body.... they said it won't matter, rain won't get in etc.

Alberts didn't get time to run my RCA or retune my setup. So last night (after 9pm) I took out both my seats and ran the RCA's under the carpet and plugged them into the amps. Atm I'm just using a preset EQ so atleast some bass is coming out, the previous deck must have been set and the amps hardly anything because when I turned my car on with the headunit standard there was absolutely no bass.

Also, does it matter if you plug the RCA's in differently? The RCA's I have are Black & Grey. On the Amp end the connections are White & Red. So I just plugged the Black into the White & Grey into Red. Would it affect it if it was meant to be the other way (cause how it's plugged into the deck?)