Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone used Alpine type r swr-1222D sub with alpine mrp-m500 amp?!?

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
Hey all.
I've just bought an Alpine MRP-M500 monoblock amp to run a subwoofer off.
I saw an alpine type r 12" SWR-1222D Sub for sale for a decent price and i've heard these are good subs. The only problem is its a dvc 2omh sub, so can only run at 1 or 4 ohms, which means it would only run at 300wrms off my amp.

My question is if anyone knows if it would still hammer only running at 300wrms @ 4ohms instead of the sub and amps max of 500wrms.

Cheers for any info!!

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Mate my first sub had 160wrms and I thought that pumped. But that would have been a fairly pricey amp so why not take full advantage of it and get a sub to suit. You don't have to go all one brand so look around.

Out of curiosity how much is the sub?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I used to own one of these subs. They are not a bad sub by any means, but in my opinion, they are a little over rated, and a little over priced.

Being rated at 500 rms, i would suggest that as i mimimuim, you match the rated input power. Any less power and you are only limiting the subs performance. It's probably worth mentioning also that under powering a speaker if not careful can cause damage to both the speaker / sub, and also the amplifier.

If it was me i would be looking around for a more suitable sub. (as mentioned above)

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
Ohk fair enough guys. I don't wanna spend too much as its just my first car with a basic system. i only really want to spend another 2-300 max on a sub coz i still have to get everything installed.

And acarmody the amp is the only alpine thing i have! haha. I've just heard they make quality gear.

The blokes asking 230 for it.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
$230, is that used, with/ without enclosure? Don't forget to add wiring kit and enclosure on top off your bill if need be.

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
I think its without a box, which is more money i guess.
and yeah used.

He told me it wouldn't be full potential which i knew so good on him, then he offered me this, chasing around 300 almost new. no enclosure.

Ryda Car Audio - JL Audio 12W3V32 12" Subwoofer ($413.55)

The soundstream sub is 600w and my amps only 500, or is that alright? sorry still learning a few things.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
As with all amps/subs, as long as the amp is tuned properly it can run basically any sub within the amps impedance range. Running any amp untuned and you run the risk of killing either the the speaker/sub or the amp or both.

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
Ok thanks thats good to know.

For arguments sake, say i did end up going for the cheaper option of the 1222D type R, running it at 4omh, which the amp rates 4ohm @ 300w, can anyone say whether it would still be moderately bassy. I've google searched both items and ive seen a few reviews of the sub saying they have run it with my amp and its been really good.

cheers

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I fed 420rms into a 12 '' type R in a VP sedan, using a 1.75 cu ft sealed, and it was "ok" But at the time i had been involved with audio for a while, and my expectations , or needs / wants were constantly growing....If you've never had a sub before, then like acarmody said , you'll probably be pretty happy with it initially, but again it will just depend on your needs, or expectations.

At the time i was upgrading my front stage, i spent as much as i could on a set of fronts, and i decided to focus more on SQ, and in the end i wound up with a system that kept me pretty entertained until i felt the need to upgrade again.

If your a real bass head you will probably come away pretty dissapointed, if your expecting ground shaking bass then it's not going to happen.

If your more into sound quality rather than output and bass quantities, then with some fine tuning it could round off a system quite nicely depending on the rest of the components.