Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve stereo crazyy

allanssv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
just bought a new ve ute and the stereo whilst isnt too bad in my opinion.. could be a little better.
so i had a pair of JL audio vr600 components and i decided to wire up the speakers ( not crossovers and tweeters).
i only installed one side to hear the comparison, but only to find out the JL speakers weren't sounding as near as good as the standard ones. They lacked bass, and distorted at a far lower volume.
Would this have anything to do with not connecting the crossovers? Also i only connected them with some cheap wires from the 2 dollar store,, so i was curious do different wires really effect sound quality.

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
Speakers realy need an amp to power them propperly so they can work their full range.
Crossover i believe just limit frequency range for tweeters.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Speaker wire can play a part, but generally unless the wire is of insufficient gauge, then audible differences would be negligible. Do you check that you hadn't wired them out of phase?

Otherwise, the distortion could be caused by the head unit's in built amplifier being driven to the point of clipping.

They may not be as loud at any given point due to a lower sensitivity rating compared to the original factory speakers. I'm not familiar with the factory ones that are in there, so i couldn't tell you if they are higher than the 89db of the 600's.

For brief testing purposes it isn't nessacary to wire up the crossover that comes with them, because the standard crossover fitted to the Blaupunkt unit will still be doing the same job, unless you disconnected the factory one, in which case the midbass / midrange driver would be tying to produce fq's that are higher than it's response range.

Last edited:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Wiring out of phase is the positive and negative in the incorrect order.

allanssv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
oh nah thats wired up properly 100%.
now it seems the right speaker is putting out less bass compared to the left.
anyone with a ve ute can you please confirm that they are exactly the same so i know i stuffed up =]