Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sub Not Working VN

joe seinfeld

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN II Berlina
yesterday my sub magically stopped working and i have no idea why.

it had been working for a very long time previously and i did the install myself so can't see any reason why it would've stopped??

Its not because the amp is hot,
No loose wires or dodgy connections,
No blown fuses,
Amp light on (little light saying protection on is lit up basically just showing that the remote wire is connected from the headunit)
Sub is NOT turned off from the headunit.

any other ideas on what i can look for?
for reference its a US-Audio Amp (USA554-220Z) and a 1000 Watt dual voice coil Kenwood sub, if they have some sort of common problem?

Thanks

joe seinfeld

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN II Berlina
anyone got any idea what else i can look for?

none of the wires are being shorted out, and this morning for about a minute the sub was working, then again back to nothing.

That was while i was driving

Langas

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7
Have you got a multimeter? I'd start by making sure you have a stable voltage at the amp.

Are there any lights on the amplifier? Is the amplifier turning on when you turn the headunit on?

Its worthwhile going over your cabling with a fine tooth comb...Its either something fairly simple or a buggered amp!

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
+ 1 voltage, check the ground where you are earthing the amp first. normally that is the problem. secondly check the + making sure you are getting 12.0+volts.

If you are not seeing 12.0volts when checking the ground, scrap some of the paint away back to bare metal. the re-attach your ground wire. this should fix the problem.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Hate to sound like a broken record, but check your earth. If it looks fine, pull it off and try earthing somewhere else. Make sure you sand back the new earth as well

joe seinfeld

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN II Berlina
Hate to sound like a broken record, but check your earth. If it looks fine, pull it off and try earthing somewhere else. Make sure you sand back the new earth as well

yepp ive done all these except multimeter checks, and yeh the remote wire is fine because the light on the "protection on" light doesnt go on unless the HU is connected.

my earth thats ive been using has worked the whole time and i sanded it back when i connected it like you said.

ill remove it and clean the area and re-attach it since you guys believe thats usally the problem.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks

joe seinfeld

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN II Berlina
all good working now, just replaced some wires even though they all looked ok, and shes workin now!

thanks guys