Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Computer Monitor As A Screen Output

92 VP CALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP Calais
G'day everyone,

I am have been trying to wire a computer monitor as a video output
out of my headunit and it has been giving me endless hassles and
so I thought I would post with the hope someone would have some
experience in this area. I purchased a computer monitor as it has the benefits of costing less and being slimmer than a TV screen. I have a pioneer headunit with video output and have purchased a "Digitech Video to VGA Converter" to convert the VGA signal to RCA but I have had no luck in being able to receive a signal on the monitor. All I want to do is mirror what is on the headunit onto the monitor. I have no problems with the power supplies or anything, I just need some help/hints as to what i am doing wrong.

Thanks for your help.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
What model H/U?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I wouldn't think a converter would be needed to go from Component (Yellow) to VGA. Maybe from VGA to RGB.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Wow the Pioneer manual for this unit is completely useless, doesn't give a wiring diagram or anything.

Well theoretically you should be able to plug the RCA out from the H/U to the composite input of the converter than plug that into the monitor and it should work.

Apparently there is an option menu somewhere in the H/U to select what you want displayed on the output, make sure its not set to 'Off'.

92 VP CALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP Calais
I have the wiring diagram if you need to know something off it acarmody, and yes, theoretically it should work but it doesn't :( And I did read about that option and had it off but I didn't have any luck with that either. The computer monitor should work the same as any other screen output shouldn't it?
And if so, how would you wire something such as a screen in a headrest to the headunit? Just in case I am doing it wrong :s

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Just to eliminate some items, have you got a small tv or something that has component (yellow, red, white) inputs? Wire the H/U directly into it, yellow ouyput wire into yellow input on TV. If that doesn't work than its the H/U.

If it does work, than use a different monitor that you know works, have it powered off a normal 240v socket in your garage or something, if that work than it the monitor, if it doesn't than its the converter.

92 VP CALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP Calais
Yeh, I'm thinking I'm going to need to try it with a TV, I know that the monitor works as it is brand new and I have tested it as an output from a laptop. And when I tried the monitor, I had it plugged into a 240V source along with the converter so I know the power supply was no issue, there is just something with the signal so I may have to try a TV.

Vt-Brrrlina

vp bt1 gts replica
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp bt1 5.0ltr full GTS kit