Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

thoughts and opinions?

Ricksta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 impulse blue
Hi all just picked up a kenwood kac9105d amp and a soundstream tarantula t5 12".

My question is should i runn this setup at 1, 2 or 4 ohms?

T5 sub is dvc 2 ohms 900rms, 1100 peak
Amp is 500 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (900 watts x 1 at 2 ohms) and 1-ohm stable (output regulated to 900 Watts)

Any help would be appreciated. kind of a new to the whole sup and amp thing as my car already had a system in it when i bought it.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
The sub is dual 2 ohm, so it can only be wired in series as 4 ohm or in parallel as 1 ohm.

The amp makes 500Wrms at 4 ohm or 900Wrms at 1 ohm.

So you would wire the sub's coil in parallel so it gets 900Wrms.

Ricksta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 impulse blue
Thanks for the reply mate. I thought 1ohm but read a few web pages saying that using 1 ohm would be shortning the life of my amp.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
If the amp is rated to run at 1 ohm, then it'll be fine. It's when an amp is only rated to 2 ohm and people run it at 1 ohm, that it flows more current than designed and can eventually cook itself.

Ricksta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 impulse blue
cheer's mate can someone explain the port when making an enclosure?

sub spec's say should be 2.50 ft3 and port 4x8 now is that 4inch's by 8 inch's? or in it 4 inch's in diameter and 8 inch's deep? i don't understand the whole port thing. isn't it the port that determines the hz?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
The port will be 4" in diameter and 8" long.

Yes, basically the port determines the tuning frequency and the box volume determines the frequency response. Some info.

Ricksta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 impulse blue
cheer's mate I ended picking up a soundstream box today to go with the sub. i have connected the voice coil's in parallel (1 ohm) the amp i have has 2+'s and 2-'s can i connect it to any of the connections or is it supposed to be bridged? i thought mono was only one channel?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Mono amps are one channel but they sometimes have multiple connections for when people use multiple subs. Those two separate connections are just parallel inside the amp so either + and either - can be used.