Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Setup

spur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commo
A couple of weeks ago my head unit went so I went out and purchased a Pioneer DEH-4450BT unit and very happy with it. But as you do I went to JB hifi and bought 2 sets of Sony 4 way 6" mx-gtx6020 for the doors and while I was there grapped a special they had to on a Sony xm-gtx6020 amp which came with a xplod install kit all up set me back $270.Now I was gonna use the amp to power the rear door speakers. So just wanting some ideas on my situation and also when I put the speakers into the door should I use the old speaker brackets and install the speakers with the Sony grills over the top just not sure if I what is the best way or if it will fit. I have a vt commodore.

spur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commo
Atleast give me something constructive to go off.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Do you sit in the back of your own car?

If no, why the hell would you amp the back speakers and not the front?

Amp the front speakers. Work with the stock brackets. We are on the internet, we cannot come and see if it will fit for you. You may need to modify the original brackets slightly depending on how big the sonys are, you may not have to.

Other than that, I'm not sure what you want to hear...

spur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commo
No I don't sit in the back just trying to get some ideas of how I should run the amp, so what i'll do then is take the amp back and buy a four channel amp. Yes we are on the Internet, but what I am asking is whether people who have installed 6" aftermarket speakers in their doors have used the speaker grills that come with the aftermarket speakers have fit that's all.As to what I want to hear, all I'm trying to ask is for some advice that's all pure and simple.

Last edited:

beaker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
i think the answer to your question is no. you don't need to use the covers that came with the speakers. provided your fitting them in the factory locations. the standard door trim has grilles to protect your speakers.

i would try to retain the standard mounts if the speaker fits it, or if your speaker came with an adaptor, then you might need to use that. i've made my own adaptor out of MDF in the past where necesary.

in the image, the factory VX speak mount assume is similar to VT? (white part) and had 3 screw holes i think, the new speaker has 4, but also came with an adaptor to suit (a black disc with various mounting hole options), it screws to the factory 3 holes in the white plastic part, and then the speaker screws to the adaptor, is only about 8mm thick.
img4362r.jpg

if you only have a 2 channel amp to work with, use it to power the front speakers as suggested above, and the rears off the head deck to fill in the sound at the back.

spur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commo
Thanks Beaker exactly what I was after. VT/VX same door shell and speaker mounting.
Im gonna return the 2way amp and buy a 3way one just gonna keep the amp to $200 limit, have rego soon and a electricity bill. Just gonna have a look at which amp to buy.
Was the sound deadening sheets expensive and where did you buy it from.