Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE S1 Clubsport, reversing camera integration with aftermarket Alpine unit?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Hi Guys, not sure whether this should go in the VE section or in here.....

I have replaced the OEM stereo in a series 1 Clubsport with the Alpine 8" version. Im sure you've all seen the pics etc.

My question is related to the OEM camera wiring, i am trying to integrate the camera with the Alpine screen. The kit does not integrate this, although the unit does switch over to display the camera, just no picture. Im assuming the camera wiring is located in the 18 pin plug above the main radio harness, which is not used by the Alpine kit. I have already tried using the video input wires (pins 5 and 14) with no success, either the camera hasnt got power or it uses another input. I am hesitant to give random wires power so a wiring diagram would be sweet!

Does anybody have a wiring diagram for the OEM reversing camera or stereo?

Thanks HEAPS in advance.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Hey brother, checkout my last post in the vkvz wiring colours. I updated it with some posts I found on here, they might help you.

Yes, it definetly sounds like the camera itself is not powering up.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Hey mate, im the same as you.....pop in every now and then. hahaha

Thanks heaps for that "dealer option" plug wiring! Atleast i know reverse power is there......it would be great to get another Clubsport or optioned VE and probe the wiring. I just dont want to have to install a new camera :)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Try and find the camera plug in the tailgate if you can... by rights, it should only be 3/4 wires. Power, video, ground and video ground. If there is, let me know and I can throw the meter across the output of another camera and see if there is a pattern to look for.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah thanks, sounds like a plan. Ive integrated most Toyota models with reversing cameras, even though they say they're 5v, i've plugged 12v into them and havent any dramas.

Will post back any findings......its not something your gonna come across often but it'll be good to have the info here anyways.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Alrighty, got the OEM camera working :yeah:

The camera still gets power without the stock stereo, so all that is required is a short "patch" loom from the 18 pin plug to the reverse camera input on the Alpine unit. I found that in the 18 pin plug (located above main 40 pin connector) has the camera wires, pink is video "center pin" and blue is the shield. Connect these to the camera input on the deck and all is good!
IMG_1967.jpg

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride