Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

pioneer headunit into vy commodore

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
hey everyone,

just bought a pioneer headunit DEH-6750MP(second hand), and wanted to know how to wire it in with ipod adapter(aftermarket adapter into wirring at back of headunit) and wirring for speakers, amps and a sub into my vy ss commodore. if anyone has any diagrams and instructions to help me that would be great. i have never done this b4, but am going to try and wire it up myself. also which side do i need to run the power, remote wire and rca's for the amp down, iv been told that the power and another cable have to go down oposite sides of the vehicle, which ones are they and which sides best?

thankyou any help and advice greatly appreciated, the headunit has sub outputs etc, but doesn't have an ipod plug so i would need to wire an adaptor in, and also can i wire in my steering wheel controls too?

cheers,

Ben.

ris00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 SS
I have just taken all my stereo gear out of my vy ss as i have sold the vehicle. To install it all is very easy first off the wiring for my amp i ran the power cable through a grommet on the LHS of the car behind the glove box. Ran it under all the plastic step things and then up behind the seat and into the boot. Note you need a star bit to undo the bolts that are under the plastic strip things you pull up to run the cable. I ran RCA and remote calbes for the amp on the other side exact same process under the plastic under the seats into the boot. When i say under the seats i mean under them once you take out the back seats just follow the car cabling very easy. I installed 6*9's on my parcel shelf also so you have to take the seat out to get the parcel tray out.
Next the head deck you need to get an infill panel i have one spare if you cant get one from a car audio shop. I got the strero removal instructions from a person on this site phreddy i think it is i have a copy on my computer somewhere if you want it once you done that you can either go the way i went by buying adapters etc for all the plugs so you dont have to cut anything or you can just start hacking away at the cables and install the head deck as per a normal car.
As for the steering wheel controls i have an interface that works with jvc, alpine and kenwood stereos that i just took out of my ss if you want it but it wont work with pioneer. But if you do go down the road of getting a new head i used to have an alpine CDA-9857 in mine comes with the ipod cable etc and i have the wiring harness for it for a vy ss so all you have to do is plug it into the car stereo harness and away it goes.
Hope that helps any other questions give me a yell.

For your info i have a single din stereo infill for a vy commodore, the harness for an alpine head deck and a steering wheel interface to sell.

StevieP

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ SS 6L
go on Ebay US and get a Pontiac GTO wiring kit/facia/ and antenna adapter wiring kit plugs str8 i nto factory harness and is color coded to solder onto your pioneer wiring loom.

Steering wheel controls youll need to get a PAC SWI-X which is a unit that wires into the steering wheel controls and then uses infrared for your normal remote to perform those functions.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
cheers guys,
yeh ris00 if you could send us the wirring diagrams etc, that would be great, yeh it has *6x9* in it already a previous owner installed, and the scuff panel trims iv removed b4, there a t-20 torx bit, i might get the adaptors, where'd u get them from? i had to fix up the previous owners hack job on the wires as they had it wirred up for an amp of the factory headunit and i cut all this out to run the 6x9's of the factory head unit and had to run new wirring down under the scuff panels. so soldering the wires in doesn't bother me, but the adaptors would be good if i decided to change the headunit.

HotVS75

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Series 2 VS Calais
audio

Fascia's and adapters are available locally in Australia, why waste time ordering from the states?

Shoot me a pm with what you need and ill do my best to help.

George

ris00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 SS
the adapter you need for an aftermarket head unit to plug into the factory harness is made by aerpro number APP7201 and you need an aerial converter thing as the original head deck has a european plug it is also made by aerpro AP349 they are both correct as i have the packets in front of me that i used for my car so if someone says it wont work dont believe them, i had that alot when doing my install. The fascia i bought is also made by aerpro just a VY/monaro facia kit its called FP9045.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
cheers ris00that helps heaps, thanks too audioprosound, i'll let you know aswell, cheers.

SinisterVY

"The World Is Yours..."
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY II S
Hey ris00. How much you asking for the adapter and fascia piece?

ris00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 SS
you mean the aerial adapter and the fascia panel? If u can pick it up $10 bucks. PM if u want it posted, i also have my steering wheel interface for sale in the trading post of this website if your interested in that.

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
I definitely recommend the Aerpro wiring adaptors, I have used them in my last 3 cars and it made re-installing the factory stereos when I sold the cars a 5-minute job. You can do all the joining / soldering out of the car, and then it's just a plug & play procedure to have your head unit up and running. Well worth the money.

While we're on the subject of adaptors, does anyone know where to get fascias to suit a double-DIN head unit for a VY? They seems to be very rare, and I'm having a lot of trouble sourcing one. Before anyone asks - No the factory hole isn't a perfect double-DIN size, it's not even close.....big gaps at the top and bottom, looks terrible.