Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE omega stereo

Dyno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Hi all. First post here

Just wondering if it is possible to upgrade the factory stereo on the VE Omega. The factory unit plays CDs only. It doesn't play MP3s which is my big issue. A firmware update or similar would be nice if it is possible.

What other options are there with the integrated console being like it is? If I get an aftermarket unit to mount somewhere else I'll have useless dials and a screen which doesnt do anything.

cheers
Dyno

Burnout_bro

Reaction score
Members Ride
HYPER VX SS/ R33 GTST
ive seen people put new headunits in the glovebox too keep factory look, so maybe you could just go with that option and keep it open and use a remote?

Dyno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
i wouldnt mind a new headunit in the glovebox if i could make the existing controls work it. ive seen aftermarket dvd units in screens the same size as the one in my console. if i could get something like that to integrate it would also be nice

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
perhaps use an mp3 player with a line input? (does the ve have a line input?) Apart from that, I hear using a rockford fosgate 3sixty to allow connection of amps (subs etc) to the stock head unit has given some impressive results.

Dyno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
yeah the stock unit has a line input socket. i guess i could get an ipod for the same price as a new head unit...

killzone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6 high output 2008 commodore
i have looked into having the head unit changed my self and the way i was going to do it was to have a head unit put into the glove box as a slave unit u still use all the orignal controls on ur stering wheela nd on the orignal head unit the only thing that is stoping me tho is that it will void my factory warranty

joshtaylor87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
You could get your local dealer to fit the optional 6 stack cd player for the Omega's. It has MP3 capability. Then just run a good quality LOC (Line out converter) or RF 3sixty to run an amp or two. I've got the optional 6 stacker in mine with a Peripheral Sven4 LOC running a Tru Technology Billet 4100 amp for front and sub and a little Audio System Twister F2-130 for the rears. And it sounds great! I was after a SQ system rather than SPL and was a bit concerned that the factory head unit wouldn't be able to produce a clean enough signal. But it does and it sounds great. I've spent over $6000 on my audio sytem in the VE and the head unit does a pretty decent job. I would recommend the Peripheral Sven4 LOC. It does an awesome job at converting the high level outputs from the factory head unit to low level inputs for the amps. They cost about $150. It's the green unit in the attached photo.

Attachments

• DSC01549.jpg
    DSC01549.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 5,663

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
I also agree on the Sven4 LOC, and also agree on that the factory headunit is pretty good, but my LOC sits under the rear seat, there's like a void in the metal perfect spot for it :d.

Billy Lent

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
hello,
just wondering do i have to install a six cd stacker to have the LOC
i just wish to install a amp and 12" sub and 2 new speakers in my ve omega ute
please reply

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Six stacker or single player doesn't make any difference at all - a Line Output Converter (LOC) simply sits across the speaker outputs and limits the signal voltage - this prevents overloading the front end of the external amp(s)

However, I wouldn't use LOCs in a pink fit - c'mon Ryan - you know that!! :rofl: Even with the high end units (Rockford, Alpine) you're feeding it a distorted signal to begin with!! You can't polish a turd!

(don't panic VE pilots... Working on the ASR true line out mod for the VE units....)

Cheerz!