Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Corner mounted sub box

Trade

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
I'm on the verge of installing my sub and amp in my boot and have yet to decide on a box.

I know I want sealed for SQ but I have a choice between the standard square box I could put behind the seat (ether facing in or out, I prefer out) or, a custom fiberglass box I found at my local audio shop that fits customly into the back corner of my VY boot so it looks factory and clean. The standard box costs $70 and the custom fiberglass one cost $340.

I'm more so looking at the custom one as it looks great and gives that finished look but I was wondering if they are worth it for SQ? Is there anyone that has a setup like this that could tell me there thoughts?

My last 2 setups have had the standard design so I know how they sound but I'm unsure if spending $340 is worth it on something that just "looks" good when $70 is all I could really need to spend. The corner design just seems like an odd placement to me.

Cheers.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
there is a bit more to it.
the size of the box will determine if its crap or great.
get the sizes of the 2 boxes and then compare them to the recommended size in the subs manual for as box.
then talk to us once you know that so as we can help more..

Trade

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
Well, I just rang them and the standard one is 1.0 cubic feet(should I be talking in liters?) and the custom one is 0.9(at a guess though), but I'm sure someone there told me when I was last in that it's bigger than the standard one. So maybe 1.1 or 1.2 Cubic Feet?

My manual doesn't recommend an actual size but it does gives me four options:
0.5 Cubic Feet Sealed Enclosure F3 = 49HZ
0.75 Cubic Feet Sealed Enclosure F3 = 44Hz
1.0 Cubic Feet Sealed Enclosure F3 = 42.Hz
1.5 Cubic Feet Sealed Enclosure F3 = 40.Hz

This is for a Eclipse SW7200 12" sub.

Edit: I'm Not terribly worried about the size of it internally but more so the position of it in the boot. It would be still nice to get a response from both sides though(position and box size).

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
so you think that the 2 boxes are pretty much the same size?
well i would go for the standard one and then get a few slabs of ****.........
up to you....$340 is a fair wack of cash though......

Trade

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
Yea I'm pretty sure they are roughly the same size.

Actually today I went down and had a look and tried out what it would look like in my boot and I wasn't really happy. It was okay, but for the price to me it wasn't worth it. So I ended up buying a cheapie and now I'm very happy. Just got to get my headunit back from repairs though arrggggg :p

impulsesv6

Alloytec Garage
Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick Alloytec
i had one of those fiberglass corner boxes in my vz sedan rhs, wasnt too happy with the sound quality, now gone custom ported and its awesome

wh33lzz

Custom Audio
Reaction score
Website
www.ozaudiophiles.com
Members Ride
VT Executive
You can build a custom FG box for around 100 bux, to match the subs T/S specs exactly and have the best of both worlds.
just requires a little FG knowledge (not hard to get really, just plunge right in) and the correct thiele /small parameters for the sub.
The difference in SQ from building a proper enclosure for your sub is downright staggering.
Two things are going to have the biggest effect on SQ, first is size, around 1 cube is pretty standard for a sealed enclosure, and anything .25 either way isnt going to have a massive effect on SQ, so thats a great starting point, secondly, how stiff the enclosure is, or how solid, will make a huge difference.
If you are using MDF for a standard square box, I'd recommend at least 25mm thick, 32mm if you are are an overengineering nut like me, and brace it, make sure all the joins are sealed and the box is 100% airtight.
Nice deep solid bass response should be the desired result!
Even a fairly cheap entry level sub can sound great for SQ with the right box.