Thread: Jaycar Response 4x100 power protect problem

WisdomFist is offline I got moves I never use !
    Ride
    VN Executive Wagon

Default Jaycar Response 4x100 power protect problem

Hi Guys,
    For a few years I have had one of the 4x100 wrms response 4 ch amps from Jaycar. The model no is cat-aa-0435. It ia a great amp I had it in an old system and it worked really well although it did not get much use.

For about 2-3 yrs I have not been using it, and now I have just reinstalled it in my vn.

I have had it working well over the last couple,of days but realized it was over heating and cutting out.

I thought it was due to lack of airflow ect, but the last time it has cut out and the power protect/ heat protect led has come on and gone red and now it will not work.

I know think it was due to a faulty earththat I have since fixed.

So my questions are this.

Firstly, Can I reset this protect mode(I have tried with no success totally unplugging and checking all the connections)

Am I using this amp correctly ( I have the front 2 channels running to Jaycar response 4 inch coaxils in the front. I have the rear 2 channels bridged to run 1 12inch US Audio sub. could this be too much load ect.

I ask this because the shiity US audio sub was a package deal in a box from autobarn and I am nnot sure of the speaker specs, it could be dual voice coil ect?

If I have damaged the amp can I get it fixed? Anywhere in Brisbane, how much ect or is it time for a new one. If i Need a new one I want to make sure i dont break it too.

I am pretty sure the wiring is all ok as I have done it all myself and checked it. Also now I have an old Sony xplod 4ch amp working although it sounds not so good.

When the Response amp was working it sounded great.

Thanks for any help.
    Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it

[COLOR="Blue"]Confucian saying.[/COLOR]

have you tried asking jaycar ?

repair would prob be exxy ? and being older may not be worth it

if you really want to get it fixed up i would prob suggest looking at an electronics forum , there will likely be someone in there that could work it out and jaycar may be able to supply a circuit diagram

Tasmaniak is offline Not a valid input....
    Ride
    VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka

I don't recall if the older jaycars would allow you to bridge the rear two channels down to a two ohm load...which is what that sub might be. Does it stay in protect mode when you switch it on with no speakers connected.
    You put you left foot in, your put your right foot in , you take your left foot out and you slide it all about!
    Quote Originally Posted by 'ssv' View Post
    Yeah totally like the pink bed eating the green rabbit with 6 shower curtins on it's potato! ? ^
    Quote Originally Posted by Jecs View Post
    i can relate to OP if i was smashed and my mates had a scooter the last question id be askin is whose is this?
    id be like "wai...wai... hold ma drink... imma mono that car"
    come to think of it, if i was smashed with my mates and they had a goat, i still wouldnt be like 'where did that come from'
    id be like "wai...wai... hold ma drink... imma mono that car"

Ride
    VN Executive Wagon

hi Guys,

yeah i ahve checked with jaycar. it is a $50 qoute plus any repairs costs so I willget them to check it out later.

The amp is def worth fixing, it is hardly useed and an equivelant new on would be about $400.00. if it is screwed ill prob just leave the sony one in there

I just wanted to see if ther was any sugestions other wise or anything I could do in the mean time.

I know that the amp is bridgeable because it has the diagram showing how on the channels, but I was not sure if the speaker wazs compatible. Does brdging two 4 ohm channels into on also create 2 ohms?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WisdomFist View Post
    hi Guys,

yeah i ahve checked with jaycar. it is a $50 qoute plus any repairs costs so I willget them to check it out later.

The amp is def worth fixing, it is hardly useed and an equivelant new on would be about $400.00. if it is screwed ill prob just leave the sony one in there

at last look, Jaycar were clearing these amplifiers out for $150, brand new.

I bought two off their website, however, they have none left anymore.

edit: it was the newer silver model they were clearing out, I'm not sure which model you have, don't know the cat numbers all too well

VZTHUNDER is offline Enhanced Custom Tuned
    Ride
    VZ SS Thunder MY06

arent the silver ones the old ones and the black ones new?

im positive thats how it worked
    Quote Originally Posted by soop View Post
    Since we're talking sh*t here. Petrol. Petrol kills things good. You could even lite it.

Quote Originally Posted by madvx6 View Post
    arent the silver ones the old ones and the black ones new?

im positive thats how it worked
    I said newer, not new.

the current model amps are black, the previous ones were silver, before that, they had the funky blue ones, and before that, they had a black 2 channel, a navy blue 4 channel (which I suspect is what the amp is) and a navy blue 5 channel, I believe.

VZTHUNDER is offline Enhanced Custom Tuned
    Ride
    VZ SS Thunder MY06

ah you did too lol , stand corrected
    i really should read things properly
    Quote Originally Posted by soop View Post
    Since we're talking sh*t here. Petrol. Petrol kills things good. You could even lite it.

Ride
    VN Executive Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by TheyDontWantMusic View Post
    at last look, Jaycar were clearing these amplifiers out for $150, brand new.

I bought two off their website, however, they have none left anymore.

edit: it was the newer silver model they were clearing out, I'm not sure which model you have, don't know the cat numbers all too well
    Hi,
    I know I just missed out on one of those amps but they sold out.

Do you still want yours? lol. It would have been a perfect fix just to get a new one for $150.

Have you got it hooked up does it sound good?

for the record mine is one of the navy colored amps as predicted Cat-AA-0435

Quote Originally Posted by WisdomFist View Post
    Hi,
    I know I just missed out on one of those amps but they sold out.

Do you still want yours? lol. It would have been a perfect fix just to get a new one for $150.

Have you got it hooked up does it sound good?

for the record mine is one of the navy colored amps as predicted Cat-AA-0435
    yes, I do still want mine, haven't hooked them up yet.

Its possible you could find one locally in one of the Jaycar stores, I know there's at least one here in Adelaide, but they're too stupid to even realise that they're meant to be clearing them out