Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Parcel shelf speakers

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hey again all.

I haven't checked out all that many VEs yet, but in those that I have, I've looked at the parcel shelf for potential speaker mounting points. And yes, I had a poke around here and couldn't find anything - appreciate pointers to any appropriate threads.

In the VEs I have looked at, I can see a pair of punch-outs in the metalwork but they're far from traditional. It's a real oddball shape, and wouldn't allow even a 6" speaker to properly seat on the flange.

A couple of questions for those of you driving VE models with the upmarket sound system, specifically the mounting arrangement for any parcel shelf speakers that might be there. Are these mounted on a plastic pod of some sort, like the door speakers? If anyone has successfully mounted speakers there, how much clearance is there between the top of the parcel shelf and the trim? (I'd like to think that I might be able to squeeze a pair of 6x9s in there for those who don't want a sub, but still a bit of kick in the bottom end...)

Thanks for any help guys. Later! :thumbsup:

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
Hey i just completed my system and i also considered the 6x9's in the rear shelf but the kick out panels i wasnt too sure about. I spoke to a car audio installer and he suggested there wouldnt be much point and cant guarantee a quality finish. So i turned to a smaller boxed 12 inch sub in the boot and have no regrets and it is an easier job.
Also not sure to what extent this is true but i thought that people can be defected for changing the parcel shelf. (Correct me if i am wrong)
If you do go ahead the the parcel shelf install please keep me updated as i might consider this if the results are really good.

Cheers

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Thanks for that Mate. I hear ya with the defect-ability with parcel shelf mods, but the key is that you can't make any NEW cuts. The punch-outs are in there from manufacture, and are designed by the maker to be removed where necessary - therefore these can be removed without any issues at all. It's when you go cutting larger holes to fit bigger speakers in that you end up in strife - the parcel shelf is designed as a structural part of the vehicle nowadays, that's why they get a bit antsy... ;)

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
Hi Greg,
you are more than welcome to go over mine with a fine tooth comb when you sort out my dash lights... i was also thinking of replacing the stock speakers with better quality ones and keeping the same amp/deck ect... what do you think ?

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Well, as it happens I have already done my 4 channel RCA output mod on a VE SS head unit. Overall it worked very well sound q wise, but I'm just working on overcoming a problem with the amp remote out line. Upgrading the factory speakers will certainly improve the SQ, but amplifying is best - power is the Holy Grail! ;)

I'm asking about these shelf speakers as I have a potential job coming up where the fella is quite resistant to installing a subwoofer. He wants all his boot space - simple as that. I've done installs in VYs and VZs along these lines, the punch-outs in these aloow 6x9s to drop straight in - and whilst 6x9s aren't ideal quality wise, they help to beef up the bottom end by an appreciable amount - especially if you go to the trouble of Dynamatting the shelf while the trim is removed. Noice! :thumbsup:

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
Yes i have installed 6x9's onto a ve parcel tray. I used an mdf spacer roughly and inch more than the factory hole, with a 6x9 cutout. I think i used 9 or 12 mm mdf. I then had to order the factory grills which cost $120 and were a bit fiddly getting them to sit onto the tray but after a about an hour and a half i had them in there. and there is a lot of clearence under the tray as well. You can put any speaker from 8 inch down in there.