Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

limp mode

Bryza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais
Does anyone no exactly what causes limp mode ?? iv just finished putting a vr 5L and th700 in my vk and its stuck in limp mode (stays in 3rd gear and runs like a bitch) its got no codes and ive just replaced every sensor on the bloody thing ... im now about to peel all my wiring apart again and check everything. any ideas???:bang:

biggestredvsii

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSii
I came to this thread as I have a similar problem with my vsII. I was about to do a u turn, & noticed my eng mngt light come on, when i went to turn, car was so flat I nearly got collected. I then realised I was stuck with 3rd (in D) & rev. No 4th. I discovered I can manually pull second by using stick.
When surfing this site I found the odd mention of 'limp' home.
Upon following excellent info I have read codes etc, and I have 2 faults showing, cranck angle sensor (47) & 3>2 solenoid (66). My quandry is hmm 2 faults that occured at exactly the same time? or is one causing the others symptom / code? any ideas anyone :( cheers

Sorry guys, meant to post, not reply. & I see lots on limp home once I had posted, but I do assure you I did try search on site, & Google Site: etc as a post suggested. Need to get from bris> melb soon for sick family so bit flustered :(

Last edited:

Bryza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais
ok now ive checked all wiring i disconected the idle air control valve with the dtc terminals bridged and for some reason it comes out of limp mode. pull the pin out of the dtc plug or plug the iac valve back in and were back in limp mode?????????????????????? its a new iac valve
im just gunna burn it i think

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I came to this thread as I have a similar problem with my vsII. I was about to do a u turn, & noticed my eng mngt light come on, when i went to turn, car was so flat I nearly got collected. I then realised I was stuck with 3rd (in D) & rev. No 4th. I discovered I can manually pull second by using stick.
When surfing this site I found the odd mention of 'limp' home.
Upon following excellent info I have read codes etc, and I have 2 faults showing, cranck angle sensor (47) & 3>2 solenoid (66). My quandry is hmm 2 faults that occured at exactly the same time? or is one causing the others symptom / code? any ideas anyone :( cheers

Sorry guys, meant to post, not reply. & I see lots on limp home once I had posted, but I do assure you I did try search on site, & Google Site: etc as a post suggested. Need to get from bris> melb soon for sick family so bit flustered :(

Try disconnecting the battery for 20 seconds to reset the codes, then drive the car for a bit and check for codes. The 47 may have been a "one off" but the solenoid fault will be the one causing the LHM I would guess. It is probably just the solenoid either failed or sticking - they cost about $50 or about $200 fitted by a trans shop. I'd get the solenoid fixed before any long trips.

biggestredvsii

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSii
Hey tx for that & sorry for delay.. I have reset as suggested, but alas fault still there, I have replaced the cas, which I hope has solved the error 47, but also cleaned all the associated connectors etc while I was about it. I have pulled the pan off the trans & cleaned all change solenoids & individually checked their coils & bench tested....
I had found a post ages ago that identified which solenoid was which, the one closest to front on passenger side alas has lost it's clunk... My prob now is to find one in the $ort of price range many people have suggested... Best so far is $160 but that was over the phone, I have use of brothers VR, lol as he is going away for the weekend in his wifes VT lol. this was supposed to be a reconned trans, Have seen the reciepts... but the fluid was foul.. Will let yall know, cheers P.s am in Brisbane