Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator light flickering

Kurtp

VR Buicks > You ;)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 V6 Sedan
EDIT: Ive written up a load of ways ive tried and discovered along my path to fixing alternators Check out newest post. (scroll down) and solved mine, wire from back of alternator to battery completely corroded, Cu2+ ions shitting all over the wires all over the place. Can't be good. Replacing wire.

Hi guys,

Have a weird problem with the Alternator in my VR, Randomly while driving the light flickers on and off, sometimes it holds for a while then goes off. Originally we thought it to be the brushes which we changed, but it still continued to happen. The car has had no problems with power and always started and seems to charge fine. One thing ive noticed however is when driving at night when the light comes on, all the lights dim slightly, then instantly get brighter again when it turns off. Not sure what it could be, thought maybe a loose wire? if so where would i need to look?

Last edited:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
It could be the voltage regulator on the alternator or a loose connection.

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
It could also be a bad earth.

Kurtp

VR Buicks > You ;)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 V6 Sedan
Believe i found it!

I went searching for a dodgey earth and found the earth off the battery near the chassis had a huge chunk out of it and was just connected by about one wire strand, most likely was bumping around a the car was going. Re-wired it hopefully the light doesn't come on again, will see.

Cheers guys.

Kurtp

VR Buicks > You ;)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 V6 Sedan
Okay, wasn't the problem. Seems to have helped though.

More interestingly, sometimes the car loses a fair bit of power, enough power that my speakers stop making sound for a little while, and my abs light comes on.

I figured it has to be a lose wire somewhere, but cannot find it for the life of me.

- Alternator light on
- ABS light on
- Speakers stop playing music
- Speed limiter device lights get brighter however.

Lose wire or new alternator?

This comes and goes isn't a constant thing.

Any suggestions welcome.

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
i have the same issue, and i have fittetd a know good alternator, which fixed the thing for 3 mths. now it's doing it again, but this time it seems to only do it when a/c kicks in with demister on and lights on high or low, and lights are verry dim.

i have the L3 dash in my car and when the battery light comes on i can see battery voltage going down to 11v than back up to 13 or so volts when the light goes out.

i havnt realy looked in to it any firther but i am heading on a verry long trip soon and will need it sorted.

i also was looking in to buying a 100 amp alternator but was shocked at the price evan at cost price.....

also i have never had the speekers pop abs light has never came on and i no longer have a speed alert, and mine comes and goes also more when the alternator is under load.....

also does anyone know what size alternators are on vr's?

Kurtp

VR Buicks > You ;)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 V6 Sedan
Slightly diferent problem to me i guess, but similar all the same.

Hopefully someone has some suggestions, will have to looks and see if anything is arching with the ABS.

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
It's not your sound system drawing too many amps is it?

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
I have the same problem. The car is fine when its cold, but when it warms up the light comes on. Battery reads around 11v when this happens. The idle also changes as well.

Its not the wiring and its not the regulator as its just about brand new. Belts are nice and taut.

The alternator is around 15 years old so I ordered a new one so I'll see if it fixes it.