Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Footwell Neons

markER717

Un-Donated Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 3.8L VN Calais S1
Okay so I have just got two Blue 12v Footwell Neons and I want to wire them up so they light up both when I open the doors and when I turn my lights on. I have made up two a simple wiring diagrams, one with a switch and one without. I have put the switch on the negative side of the circuit because I didn't want to over crowd the positive side. Would this work with the splice in the pos. wire and just leading them off in different directions? also if both are activated at the same time this wont provide too much power to the circuit and damage the neon or something else?

No Switch
FootWellWiringDiagram.jpg

Switch
FootWellWiringDiagramwithswitch.jpg

Also what wires on VN Calais would receive signal from the door switch and what colour would the pos. be? Also where else could i get power to turn on the lights when the headlights go on other than the cigarette lighter as i already have my rear 12v power outlet piggy backed off that harness.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Okay so I have just got two Blue 12v Footwell Neons and I want to wire them up so they light up both when I open the doors and when I turn my lights on. I have made up two a simple wiring diagrams, one with a switch and one without. I have put the switch on the negative side of the circuit because I didn't want to over crowd the positive side. Would this work with the splice in the pos. wire and just leading them off in different directions? also if both are activated at the same time this wont provide too much power to the circuit and damage the neon or something else?

No Switch
FootWellWiringDiagram.jpg

Switch
FootWellWiringDiagramwithswitch.jpg

Also what wires on VN Calais would receive signal from the door switch and what colour would the pos. be? Also where else could i get power to turn on the lights when the headlights go on other than the cigarette lighter as i already have my rear 12v power outlet piggy backed off that harness.

Your ideas are good in theory but the circuits in the car work differently, some negatively switched, some positively switched etc..

the door circuit is negatively switched, there is a thick orange wire that leads from the roof light to the fusebox under the steering wheel, can be accessed above the pedals once the trim is removed. I suggest splicing into this circuit, (solid orange should be constant 12v, orange with white trace is negative door trigger) < you may want to recheck those!

as for getting the lights to work in conjunction with parking lights, you will need a relay as parking lights are positively switched, the relay will be used to convert the negative door trigger on the interior lights to a positive trigger, therefore making both circuits positively switched, you will need a diode to stop the circuits interfering. here it is:

relayspdt2.jpg

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
I have never done anything with diodes before is there different types? also what one would I need for this job?

Cheers.

There are many types, I couldn't think of any way of wiring it to work without one, I'd suggest Jaycar, Part number : P600M. make sure you solder it in the correct direction.

Bullet1

Green P's
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT SC S-Pack
I'm also looking to put footwell neon's/LED's in, but I'm wondering if you can include a dimmer? Like you see on some bedroom lights, just so that the light isn't so intense, is this possible? I also want the rear seat foot area to light up as well, would the best place be just tucked under the front seats or what?

cheers,
Rhys.

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
I'm also looking to put footwell neon's/LED's in, but I'm wondering if you can include a dimmer? Like you see on some bedroom lights, just so that the light isn't so intense, is this possible? I also want the rear seat foot area to light up as well, would the best place be just tucked under the front seats or what?

cheers,
Rhys.

The neons that I installed had a dimming module already attached.

HRVATSKI_VOJNIK

a.k.a KRIS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6

cheers,
Rhys.

go to dick smith or Jaycar and buy a pot (Potentiometer)
512px-Potentiometer.jpg

you have 2 options
get one with a high resistance (10K is what i got) only have to rotate the stick slightly for the lights to dim and turn off.
or one with a low resistance rating e.g 1K rating to rotate the stick all the way around for the lights to be barely on/off. like a light dimmer

Last edited:

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
I used to have them on my old VR, simply hooked them up do a simple switch screwed into the fusepanel cover under the steering wheel:
IMGP0415.jpg

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
i wired up a switch in a din pocket that i modified and put it in under the head unit. Chrome mats look good as well :D

163752_1721943259203_1556993514_1758554_4013920_n.jpg