Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN wiring problem, any ideas.....?

freyja_28

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Hi guys, I'm really hoping you could help me. I'm having pretty bad electrical issues with my car (VN station wagon, that is chipped) & I don't know where to start looking to fix the problem.

The car drove from Hervey Bay last night to Coffs Harbour, about 8 ½ hour trip. All was going well until it started raining down past Tweed Heads. Water started dripping down behind the glove box onto the passenger side floor and there was also some water dripping onto the drivers floor in the heavy rain.
The first sign of anything going wrong was the stereo loosing power for a couple of seconds and then coming back, driving through Ulmarra the power was cutting in and out in everything. The head lights, dash lights, stereo, uhf etc were all dimming for a few seconds and coming back on.
We stopped in Grafton. Had a look at the computer, fuses etc and wiring to see how much water near the wiring. There was maybe a drop near the computer wiring most of the water had dribbled down onto the wiring behind & below the steering wheel. No fuses had blown.
The car was limped from Grafton to Coffs Harbour but turning the stereo off etc, only running low beam, barely using the window wipers and driving under 100klms as if you did the speed limit the torque converter would start locking up and unlocking and the car would almost die. If you tried to use high beam it would do the same.
I've got no idea what I'm doing, I'm hoping to get some advice on how to go about chasing down the main electrical fault & getting it fixed. Also if I'm going to blow anything up by driving it to an auto elec store. Or if its something that has a chance to fix itself if everything can have time to dry out.
Thanks heaps in advance for anybody who can give me any advice
~Kara.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Obviously the water is causing a short. You probably won't be able to do anything about it except fix the leak and stop the water. It sounds like water may be coming in through a couple of holes in the firewall. When wiring up the stereo etc, did you seal the holes that the cables came through? The windscreen may be leaking, but it is more likely a firewall hole.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
Fix your water leaks and check your grounds for corrosion , most under bonnet connections are weather proof but inside the car they are not sealed check and clean the connections you can get too

LordMayhem

Here For A Good Time!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
hey guys freyja is my wife. under auto elec advice we put a second hand alternator in it this morning and it was running normal again no cutting in and out did a few trips into town doing the daily stuff and it was all fine but took it in this arvo and it cut out all electricals causing motor to stall and cd player to reset which it never did before like the battery had been unplugged wacked it in nutreul and hit the key and it had power back instantly and fired back up and ran fine all the way home.......checked the fusable links and they seem fine so any idea's....haven't checked earths yet as only just read these reply's (didn't know wife posted bout it till now lol oh and has been sunny dry and warm all day if that helps) thanks