Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help! Key Reader / Ignition Lock problem

Nuffy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
Hello. I have a 2000 VX and as of last night, when I insert the key and attempt to turn the it, it will not budge more than a few millimetres. The steering wheel has locked into place, but even the usual slight turning of the wheel to get the key to turn isn't even working. The immobiliser and other electricals are all working fine - at least the ones where I don't need ignition to use them.

I've removed the key reader and cleaned everything (something else that was recommended) as well as the key and replaced it, but still nothing. I've also noticed the key does not 'click' when being removed from the keyhole, as it normally did or used to.

Anyone have any ideas as to what it could be, and any other tricks/methods to attempt to get the key turning over?

Cheers

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
This happened to me last week, I ended up using extra force to get the key to turn. Then I went straight to get a new barrel because I've learnt from previous experience that it will happen again.
The centre part of the barrel (where you insert the key) should pop out a little bit when you remove the key, yours will not be doing this and that is why the key won't turn. With the key removed try flicking or jiggling the centre plastic bit to get it to pop out, this worked for me also. If you get it working then have it fixed straight away.
The barrels are difficult to replace if the key won't turn.
A new barrel cost $57 from Holden, then I took the barrel to a locksmith to have it coded to the key, another $16. The locksmith then informs me that they have new barrels for $40 with no charge to have it coded, so shop around.

Last edited:

Nuffy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
Thanks mate. As it turns out you were spot on. Had to replace the whole barrel etc etc. Mind you, had to get a mobile locksmith out who stung me for a bit more than you paid, but that's to be expected. Thanks for the help.