Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rebuilding vt starter motor

newbee

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss
how hard is it to rebuild a vt 5L starter motor eg bushes etc
will it take long to do
what parts would i need to do this
and also would super cheap or repco sell these parts
cheers

spark79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive 3.8 v6 wagon, getn 18"sager rims soon
just go buy a new or second hand one , the mucking around with it , is not worth the time.

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
guess going to a wreckers nd getting a new one isnt a option?

newbee

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss
wreckers want $185 as is, and a rebuilt one from a auto elect is about $250.
i done a hq starter many years ago but can't quite remember how hard (or easy ) it was
and what parts i replaced

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
whats actually wrong with your starter motor? i seriously wouldn't recommend overhauling the starter motor yourself if you dont know what you are doing. if the brushes are worn you would have to solder new ones on which is much more difficult the soldering simple wires together. the armature has to be machined on a lathe. you might have to replace the pinion drive if it is stuffed but you have to know what it feels like if it is stuffed. the solenoid contacts might be stuffed so you might have to replace that. it takes a bit of experience to properly repair a starter motor but i guess you could do it but it just depends on what the starter is doing when you try to start your car.

newbee

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss
it sounds like a flat battery when the car is hot but when i start it when cold first time every time
have replaced battery 2 months ago and that fixed it for a while,
so after reading the above time to rethink my approach and blow the cobwebs out of my wallet
just thought it wouldn't be to hard,(i like to do as much as i can no my car as i can) but there we go we learn some thing every day

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
if you dont need your car for a couple of days then yeah go for it and maybe just ask a few questions on here if you need some help

moose man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII
try checking the battery earths onto the body and onto the engine. My guess is that one of these is rusty or buggered.
Just follow the negative battery leads to their final bolted position and remove, clean with some emery cloth and refit. Check the positive leads while you're at it.
Do you know how to do a voltage drop test across your starting system with a voltmeter? This is the ONLY way to test battery leads properly.
Don't buy a starter motor just yet, it could be a waste of money.

Legs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
If you are going to replace it, try Ebay I picked one up for $20 that was in great condition.