Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT commodore starting issues

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
I'm having inconsistent starting issues with my car, on some starts it will start as normal on others it may struggle to turn as if the battery is flat or very low.

I connected a multimeter to get a reading from the battery and am getting around 12.8V when on accessories, on times when I try to start the good starts seem to show a reading of around ~11v during starting on the struggling starts seems to get a reading of ~9-10V do you think its a battery issue or a starter motor issue?

To me the battery seems fine as I can leave the stereo on for hours and start the car no problems, and that the battery was replaced last year in November, however it did get drained one time from my alarm one time when i went on vacation and it went off with no one turn it off but when I got back we got the car jumped and i drove it for over an hour to give it a charge didn't remember having any issues after that this seems to have started in the recent 6 month - dosen't seem to be getting worse or better it just sounds like im doing damage to the starter when its struggling to turn as you can hear this crackling sound when its struggling to turn.

Cheers for feedback!

scozz76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2014 Evoke - VYII Acclaim
I don't think it would be the battery.
I've had issues in the past with the starter solenoid contacts.

Also check all connections to your starter and check the battery and engine earth connections.

boobotam

Reaction score
is it real hot or cold? batts dont like either, by the sounds and look your batt is too flat to start! and the clicking is the starter relay? you could take to an auto elec and get batt tested, 18months is about the life of them too these days

Adrenaline Kicked

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L
Im Having same issue with my VT aswell mate, except mine wont start at all. The battery is fine i've metered it and its like the car wants to start but just can't get that initial crank.

curtcommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
Same issue. Pain in the ass, car till runs fine, just sounds like its in pain when starting.,.. just had CAS changed yesterday for the car stalling when hot/not starting hot. Seemed to have fixed that issue!:)..., now this is pissing me off...pretty sure its just the connections..

Maxseverity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
I'm 98% positive its the starter motor on its way out.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
A new battery does a whole heap of good stuff, much of the computer gear takes a dimm view of receiving less than a good 12v battery, and the current drain from a sterio to the starter is like all the difference in the world.

Most times i've changed a battery to a new one has made it like a new / better / different car, it pays to buy the good one, and the amount of ********s i've seen putting tap water into a car battery is near countless, tap water aadded will normally kill em withing a year or so, bore water can near stuff em within 3 months.

Generally when the battery is spewing fluid is a fault of the regulator, the added V boils em dry, then in goes the tap water and the car is history soon after.

Seems many confuse simple Volts with good battery power, it can still show 12. whatever and might run a sterio for a entire day and yet still be totally borked as a starting battery.

ridla83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 1998 V8 Berlina
yea my 98 VT V8 Berlina's having some starting dramas as well. Starts fine when cold but after been running for a while i try to start her and she will turn over but not fire. Have cleaned air sensor and changed plugs and fuel pressure is fine. I can get aroundthe crap starting by turning ingnition on for 5 or so second before turning over gain with a little throttle. I am aware of the memcal fault where if you leave the key in the ignition the immobiliser can prevent starting. I took it too my dealer as i am thinking its electrial and they found that the coolant temp sensor had played up so i am changing that. Any other ideas?

scar59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT series2
I have been having a similar starting problem, and found someone on a related site that said to check the main lead contact on the end of the solenoid. I decided to remove the starter motor and found that this contact nut was damaged with arcing marks all over it especially on the inside of the thread. I removed the starter motor stripped it down cleaned all the crap out of the inside, greased all the gears with molly based high temp grease, cleaned the contact tab with fine emery and re-installed the starter motor, re-fit the main cable with a new nut. I now have good electrical contact, and the car started easily. Hopefully problem solved!

Peter mudge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt series ii commodore wagon
My vt seriesii has a problem starting , it will fire then stop over and over. I've checked everything under the bonnet and everything is within the specs , dont what it can be .any answers?