Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

manual fan over ride switch for a VS

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
Hi all, does anyone know to wire up a switch that can turn on the fans when you want to turn them on , not when the computor wants to.
My reason is that whilst city driving my temp guage right up to the second last notch before the low fan comes on, then stays hovering around that 2nd last notch from HOT.

The cooling system is perfect, doesn't boil over or leak any coolant, it's just that reading makes me nervous driving in the city.

I have changed the temp sender & temp sensor and even changed the temp guage makes no differance, so it would be great to manualy switch on the fans.

My VS/V6 has a low speed fan and higher speed, with seperate relays for each.

any help would be really appreciated.
thanks
Ron

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Turn the A/C on and that should also activate the fan(s).

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
Thanks mate, but already tried that, still hovers around the second last notch from Hot.
Goes fine on country roads, sits around half way mark or a little under, but as soon as I get into the suburbs, up the temp guage goes, the fan seem to take ages before coming on then only stay on for few seconds then off again, not long enough to bring the temp guage down a bit.
Relays are good.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
from what i understand there is 2 different gauge senders for vs an early one and an updated one and one makes them show higher temp if the fans are cyling like you say there is most likely no issue or there could quite possibly be an issue with the bcm it controls one fan settingmaybe thats why the fan is working at the high setting but the bcm isnt turning on the slow setting for lower temp activation thats why theres 2 relays highspeed fan and low speed fan.both relays run from the same fuse so if one goes then its not a fuse looking at the diagram there is 2 different kinds of relays maybe there is an incorrect relay in the low speed fan hole

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
Thanks delcowizzid, When it first happened I went to gmh dealership and asked for the revised temp sender, got it put it in , then it read hotter than my orginal, took it back they said I was giving the wrong sender, got another wacked it in , no differance from my original sender.
I had an auto electrician spend 2 hours on it, but couldn't find the problem, he said relays are fine , temp sender resistance is right, coolant sensor correct as well, but couldn't understand why it was reading so high, he eventually said it must be the temp guage & wanted $300 to fit a new one, bull to that, so got one from wreckers for $ 20 , fitted it and still no differance.
the mystery continues.... so thats my idea of a manual fan swtch as the realy hot days aren't to far away.

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
Just a little more info, when it was at the auto electricians, it sat there idle.ling for 2 hours but didn't boil over, I read his diagnostic tool which read at 105 Cel'.

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
If the BCM is not right, would it come up on the fault codes ?

Last edited:

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
Anyone know how to put a manual switch for the fans on a VS/ V6 ?

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
couldnt you just disconnect the harness going to the fans, and create another to get power directly from the battery, but through the main engine relay, with a switch inside the car? That way youwill only get power to the fans while car is turned on, so you cant accidentally leave them on

LX_HATCH

Reaction score
Members Ride
LX Torana-Hatch
Yeah all you would need is a 12V supply going to the fans from another switch. Have them in parallel so either ECU or manual switch will start fans