Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fan Speed Resistor Fault VY or WK

Was this post of any help

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Some

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hallett505

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore Executive V6
I'm hoping this post will help a few frustrated people waiting for the back order of fan speed resistors for 2003/2004 (and probably before and after those years but I'm not sure) In SA alone I am told over 150 people are waiting for the new supplier to be set up and provide the parts.

I have been waiting around 4 weeks and have checked the forum on and off during that time and came across a helpful post last night that mentioned it can just be a connection that needs to be soldered it also described how to get the part out. So I will provide the steps below to hopefully help someone else and like me save $91 on a new part plus labour as I found that on mine the connection just needed to be re soldered and it all works fine again!

1. Empty your glovebox
2 Remove the rubber stoppers by carefully pulling out a little at the bottom and then sliding down (don't almost break the lug off like I did)
3 Remove the clip on the left that is attached to a little shock absorber thing (this may be just for the Statesman)
4 Now let the glovebox drop a bit and then pull forward whilst wiggling it a bit to remove it from the clip in supports
5 You should now see the resistor at the back right, remove the plug
6 Unscrew the two screws on the resistor
7 Unscrew a couple of the screws holding the glove box metal support so you can bend it down a bit to make room to slide the resistor out
8 Slide it out and check if a little metal connector has sprung up off the solder
9 If it has, just resolder it and then reverse the above

Good luck!

Rob king

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK 5.7, VTII, Landrover FFR SIII
Hallett505
Thanks mate.
I've had no fan speed other than high for weeks in my wk.
I read your post and followed the advice.
Exactly as you said, the strap on the res had sprung off.
Resoldered and refitted- works perfectly.
15 min job and you've saved me hundreds!:beer chug:
Many thanks!
Rob

Last edited: