Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does this sound like a regulator problem

younglion

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY SS Ute 5.7
This is also in VY section not sur where to post. Need help asap

Vy ss ute series 1.

Driving about a month ago check alternator light comes on for a bit then goes off, comes on and off about once a week. Then yesterday all my warnings come on, ABS, Airbag and check alternator. I pulled over and turned the car off, it wouldnt start again coz the batt was flat. Jump started and drove home (all dash lights and speedo tacho etc wasnt working). Left it over night. Woke up and started first time this morning with no jump start.

Does this sound like the alternator is gone? Or the regulator? How can i chech the alternator? I have a multi meter what should the readings be? Or how can i find out whether its the regulator? With a new alternator costing about 300 i dont wanna get one if its just the regulator.

I did a search and found conflicting solutions. Anyone had this problem?

Another thing if i just keep jump starting and driving it. Is this safe? (until i can find out whats wrong and how much)

Also. I had the air con on yesterday when it happened. And the whole dash would turn off and on when i would turn the air con on and off. while the car was running

Edit: Just took it for a drive and as soon as i switched on the air con. All the warnings came up and i lost all the dash again also the car felt sluggish to drive. I turned it off and again the dreaded clicking of a dead battery. Surely this is the alternator?

dave-the-sparky

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy 5.7 calais
sounds like it could be out of brushes. when they are just about worn right out it will charge a bit then it wont charge. put your multi meter on dc volts on 20 or higher with the engine running it should be between 13.8 to 14.2. if you keep driving it eventually it will stop as the engine computer needs a fair bit of power to run. also if you kepp trying to start it with a low battery A:you can damage the starter & B:could damage the battery. the big issue with the 5.7l set up is the power steering pump is above the alternator and if it is leaking fluid it drips onto the alternator and speeds up the wearing process of the alternator brushes. be sure to fix the oil leak before reparing your alternator as it wont last too long. the reg and brushes come as a 1 unit. a good auto elec shop should be able to supply one.
hope this helps.

younglion

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY SS Ute 5.7
took it the auto elec today and he said definately the alternator. So its getting done tomorrow. He wanted 475 fitted