Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What Amp Fuse should I use?

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Gday guys,

Got 2 footwell neons wired up to my cigaretty lighter light so when I turn the parkers on they come on, there also wired up to a On/Off switch.

I've been told its recommended I install a fuse for these as well, so does anyone know what amp fuse I should use?

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
Based on the wiring of the neon's I'd personally run below 5amp but I'm only a sparks :p

kal666

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr spack ute
me mate ran his the same way with no fuse an they were fine for the 2 years before he sold it, but there getting there power from the cigarette lighter/power source, so if it did want to pop a fuse itd pop the powersource wouldnt it

moose man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII
It depends on a couple of things. You need to know:
1. Total power draw of the lights (in Amps, or Watts)
This will tell you what sized wiring needs to be used, plus a 50% safety buffer. I'll do the calculation below for you based on 11W light.
eg.

2 x 11W lights = 22W total power use.
The power conversion formula is Volt x Amps = Watts
so,

14V x ?A = 22W
14 x 1.57 = 22

So, you will draw approx 1.57A from the battery when the lights work.
Add 50% as a reliability buffer = 2.36A

You will need wiring that can safely handle 2.36A minimum, and a fuse max 2.5A. Putting a fuse with too high a rating risks melting wires and fires if a short circuit happens. Your cigarette lighter illumination fuse will probably be 10A - too high.

NEVER install additional electrical wiring without installing a fuse near the power source.

INNAWE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 5ltr
It depends on a couple of things. You need to know:
1. Total power draw of the lights (in Amps, or Watts)
This will tell you what sized wiring needs to be used, plus a 50% safety buffer. I'll do the calculation below for you based on 11W light.
eg.

2 x 11W lights = 22W total power use.
The power conversion formula is Volt x Amps = Watts
so,

14V x ?A = 22W
14 x 1.57 = 22

So, you will draw approx 1.57A from the battery when the lights work.
Add 50% as a reliability buffer = 2.36A

You will need wiring that can safely handle 2.36A minimum, and a fuse max 2.5A. Putting a fuse with too high a rating risks melting wires and fires if a short circuit happens. Your cigarette lighter illumination fuse will probably be 10A - too high.

NEVER install additional electrical wiring without installing a fuse near the power source.

:beer chug::beer chug: to the above post.
It is always better to go under rather then over with a fuse. As it was already stated, if you put too big a fuse in the cable will begin to melt depending on what size cable you used. If in doubt always go for a smaller fuse. Easy to replace a fuse then to replace a car.

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Thanks so how do I install a seperate fuse then for the neons?

cracker

Reaction score
fuse is only there to protect the wiring, nothing else some good advice in this thread.

moose man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII
Thanks so how do I install a seperate fuse then for the neons?

With all due respect, if you need to ask a question like this, you probably need someone to help you with it.
Watch and learn so you can do it for yourself next time.