Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drain on Battery when car off???

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Howdy folks,

EDIT - SIMPLER QUESTION

Is it possible a faulty alternator or bad install can place a drain on the battery even when the car is off?

I have a 1 week old alt (output tested ok), 10 month old batt (tested fine) but there's a 1A drain on the batt when car is off.

This is in a CURSED WH V6... lol

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
A mate of mine use to have the same problem it turned out to be the glove box light switch was jammed on so check all of your light switches for a start

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Ah that is a good one :) and hard to see obviously lol.

Car is back at the auto elec anyway.

Found out the unit he put in is a Bosch and he said he knows about how the alt can drain the battery, but has never seen a new Bosch unit do it - ever.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
if its got an emoboliser and stereo theres allways power drain

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Yeah but not so much that it flattens your battery overnight :) I think normal is anywhere up to about 0.2A, this was drawing just over 1A... ie... 5 times more than it should be.

After a quick charge from RACQ yesterday, it had 2 starts in it today before it needed to be jumpstarted. Fortunately those 2 starts got it to the radiator place then the auto elec...

Yes, I drive a cursed car :p

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Ok - here's one for you guys... car is all fixed now, $176 later (which I am happy with to have a car that should just work now).

The issue?

Well, the BCM drives a relay that drives the interior lighting, BCM had a fault where it wasn't cutting power to the relay when the car was shut off - even though no lights were on, the relay itself was causing enough of a drain to kill the battery. Sparky ripped out the relay and did a "magic wiring mod" so everything works 100% as intended, just no relay and no power drain. Said there's no need to replace BCM unless I want to be really anal about having everything as original (which for the sake of $500 I'm not).

Drain on battery gone from 1A to 20mA.... I'm happy :)

mrvdv

vanders
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Holden Commodore
good to see that you got it worked out