Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Flasher unit noise after crash.

V(y)T_98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive
Hey all,

Quick question about my old VT..

Recently I crashed into a guard rail at a fair speed and while I have repaired most of the car, I cannot find what is causing this issue.

When I turn the right indicator on it works fine, but switch on the left and the flasher unit under the dash buzzes loudly and doesnt click. I've searched all over the car and not found any broken earths or issues. The only thing I did find originally was a broken side indicator globe which had both electrodes joined, but once removed this made no diffference. I have replaced the flasher unit and several fuses, but that left indicator blows them like crazy (not the flasher unit tho..)

Does anyone know or have heard about this happening??

If its of interest the flasher unit heats ecessivly on the earth point side when left indicator is switched on???

CHeers

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
I'd be thinking it's the stork.. However supplied is a wiring diagram (hopefully the right one) to which you can test (continuity and load) all cabling and so forth. Hope it helps :)

Attachments

• Turn Signal.jpg
    Turn Signal.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 9,276

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
id suggest checking or replacing all the indicator globes on the left hand side

V(y)T_98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive
thanks lads, I've checked all globes and whilst the side indicator isnt plugged in it wont make any difference. How can i see if its the stalk and why would it make the flasher do that???

V(y)T_98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive
another side note, when the hazard light is depressed, it makes the buzzing noise only, it doesnt attempt to have the right indicator turn on. Same with using the remote central locking it doesnt make the light flash at all. Also again, if the left indicator is left on for a bit, it will flash a little bit almost but everytime it does it severely drops and rises the engine revs as it flashes (and doesnt actually flash the globe)... dropping the lights and interior lights like a sub does???

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
So if you removed all the globes on the left hand side does the hazard work as normal (minus the light from the left hand side of course)

I only thought of the stalk due to dodgy contacts.

I guess if the original issue arose after the heavy damage to the front left quarter you should consider physically checking the wiring loom on that side if it means you have to pull things apart so be it.

V(y)T_98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive
yeah very heavy impact on front right but nothing was damaged wiring wise. On the other hand the radiator was squashed into the engine (only a 6 too) but I cant see any problems now I replaced the rad support etc. I replaced the flasher unit but where do I find the hazard/indicator relay?? Perhaps that is it?? I think something could be wrong with the wiring as despite my front right chassis rail being torn for about 30 cm the airbags didnt deploy?? 100 km head on into a pole....

Dont know has anyone had this issue before?? It happened straight afterwards as I recall trying to put the hazards on and it blew the fuse instantly...

V(y)T_98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive
thanks guys i'll have to pull it apart.. I gotta jack it up cause i have 7cm ground clearance so it may be underneath i guess... Let u all know how i go..

V(y)T_98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive
We have a win! I found the problem. The RH chassis rail was torn so badly it cut the harness but hid it from sight so i didnt know... Replaced the section of the harness and hey presto it works!!!