Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HID lights in VY Projector headlights

M100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim wagon
Hi

Im considering putting in a HID kit in my VY Berlina with projector headlights. Being projector, is it a better conversion that just normal headlights found in the exec etc? Ive found ones with 35w globes. They wont yellow the headlights also will they?

Finally do you know what the going rate is for getting an auto electrician to install them is?

Thanks

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
They in fact they create less heat per light output to standard incandescent globes so no it's not a problem. I recommend 35watt. The Kelvin (colour) would be upto you but again 4800K.

Attachments

• kelvin.jpg
    kelvin.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,682

dave-the-sparky

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy 5.7 calais
i installed a set of 55 watt hid globes to my vy calais with projector lamps i think they were about 4800k.
i did this over a year ago and have not looked back. there is room under the headlight for the ballast and igniter ( you need to remove headlight from car ) most kits are "plug and play" meaning you dont need to cut any wires it all plugs in, you do need to drill a hole in the globe cover for the plugs to pass thru. i would post some picks but you cant see anything without pulling it to bits sorry. dont be tempted to get globes that are blue or purple because to hotter they burn the less light output you get. also if you use these in your high beams they have a warm up period of about 15 to 20 seconds so high beam flash will be useless. good luck you will be happy.

Degeko

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Calais 5.0L, MY12 VE SV6
I got a cheap $200 set from ebay and put them in the VY berlina i had, Lasted 5 years so far and they were still working when i sold the car last week, From memory i had the 8000K and they were a white/blue colour but range of light was a bit average. Go for the 4800k or the 6000k and you will never look back

Calaisboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy calais S2
I know this is an old post but... Does anyone have a problem with shadowing and beams being "off centre"?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I know this is an old post but... Does anyone have a problem with shadowing and beams being "off centre"?

Are your headlights 'Projector' type headlights?

Calaisboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy calais S2

Hey mate! Yeah projector headlights in a vy calais.. I mean fair enough, at the moment theres 8000k bulbs in there. Which are that blue there pointless.. But still the main beam of light shoots way to far off to te left and right with almost no light in the centre of car. Ive tried "resetting" the positioning/direction with no luck. Plus i have shadows where the beams or light should be.... Ive looked at the bulbs and there sitting correctly (ground wire or what ever you call it on the bulb is sitting at 6 o'clock where it should be. Absolutely stumped.