Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HID headlight issues

Timmos

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
10' VE SSV
I've had my HIDs for about a year now, and in the last 3 months i've had a problem with the left headlight not switching on.
Too fix it i need to continuesly switch my headlights on and off.

About 3 weeks ago, it completely stopped working so i checked the fuse which looking at it seemed fine, when i pulled it out i could see that there was a hairline crack in it. After replacing the fuse it worked fine for about 2 weeks.

Now it's doing the same thing again where the left one isn't switching on unless i flick my head lights on and off.

Any ideas what would be causing this?

Even if i had warrenty, I wouldn't know where the warrenty card or receipts are. And i definantly would not want to send them away for repairs.. and leave me without lights.

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
The worse thing you could be doing is switching them off and on again.. I would pull apart all connection and reseat/lubricate to make sure there is a positive connection.. I'd also see if there's a white power forming on the 12v on the ballasts terminals or receptacle, as one thing I have noticed over the years is the rubber seal either doesn't seat correctly or actually allows moisture in and creates corrosion and basically ruins the ballast...

You have to remember on first start the ballast's utilise an excessive amount of VA to invert upto 23KV and if you don't have a decent connection you'll simply cook the ballast. Also with any install's I've done I've use a high tension non conductive grease/lubricant on all plug to guarantee a 100% seal.

the_trademarc

The Cult Of Personality
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Members Ride
E-Series 1 Clubsport R8
I had/have the exact same problem on my VZ. Got the HID's and over the last 6 months, the Auto headlights would only turn one of the lights on (usually the right one). I did what you did, just lock/unlock again, or switch them off and on, and it was fine.
I pulled mine apart and found no other issue, but my BCM has been playing up, because my radio and internal lights turn off and on intermittently.

Holden have checked it and found no fault.
I was told on the VZ Forum to get my battery tested cuz it could be on the way out. That's my next move.

P.S. Where did you get your lights from? Or did you do a self-install?

Degeko

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Calais 5.0L, MY12 VE SV6
I had the same problem with the $200 set i got off ebay, every 9th or 10th time i had to off/on lights to get it to come back on. Not a big issue i just lived with it and this was after having them work perfect for 5 years so for $200 it was a good deal.

Timmos

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
10' VE SSV
Well alteast i'm not the only one with the problem.

Bit of an update.

I tried out what
said and used a non conductive grease on all plugs. Re-wired it and lubricated the connection.

I havn't yet blown a fuse or had a light not switch on, its only been 4 days since but looking hopeful!

If this works out i'll do a how-to for HID installs and problem solving

codeunknown

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Commodore EXE 1999 with vx 3.8/auto
the fact that one side goes on and off...and can be reset if you like by switching on and off tells you that there is a break in feed...could be a earth feed or could a positive feed...
one side may have new increased resistance,,,,so check all wires and check all earths.... check all joins
and make sure there is no water / rust or corrission or moisture anywhere...

blow out the relay plugs holes..all contacts and spray with a wd40...it could be damaging the relays from bad wire or bad connector to the relay...
so clean and check relay wires...and trace and track them...somewhere there is an issue..

:) enjoy

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
i got a set of HID's in my other car and this problem happens also, ive always blammed the fact that i dropped the globe when i first got them (while i was installing them).. But i couldnt understand why it worked sometimes and other times it didnt.. but i guess now its got nothing to do with me dropping them its probably some earth problem lol, that sorta makes me feel better lol

VT98SV

[VT 98 SV]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S
i have the same problem accept the left headlight only turns on when the engine is cold??