Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Charger Question

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Howdy,
My WH currently has one of the newer calcium style batteries in, it ran dead flat a couple of times recently and doesn't appear to be taking charge too well just from driving.

I've been advised I need to get a newer pulse charger, but in my research have even seen some with a recondition function - targeted at bringing up batteries like mine that have been run dead flat.

Now, is the reco thing a gimmick and will a normal pulse charger bring me back up to speed or is it worth going the extra $$ (or given the price of these chargers, just get a new battery?)

Cheers

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
I have seen those regenerations, but aren't they like $3000, the ones i've seen that work are about that price, for that price you should buy a new battery, if its a cheaper version of the $3000 type then I would be weary if it actually works. Those regenrators reckon it can fix around 90% of car batteries, but they don't fix batteries where the plates have fused together, which in my experience is about 80% of the batteries I had go on me.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Oh there's some for about $200 that look half decent... I picked up a cheap charger from supercrap last night (said it was ok for calcium, but that's about it) which I can take back for exchange .... but they don't have any regen units. They have pulse chargers that are going to cost me about $20 more which I can live with quite happily... but would like to know if it's just worth going elsewhere and splashing a bit more cash on a regen unit.

Although like said, if spending $200.... why not just buy a new battery? lol

Battery itself is a 10 month old RACQ unit that's been perfectly fine until being run flat a couple of times in the last fortnight (other issues all been resolved now).

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Did end up just getting the charger for another $25 from supercheap.... mentioned something in there about the pulse charging helping the batteries recover from being discharged so hopefully does the job :p

other charger was terrible, charged to 100% last night... and about 7 starts later it was slow to crank. Admittedly they had been alot of short trips but for an apparently 100% charged battery that is not good :p

Will post back how this one goes....

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Or you could get a deep cycle battery and not have to worry about it going flat.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
Yea I know, all the dead batteries I have had here end up showing 100% on the charger and are ok to power say a 12v light, but when it comes to cranking they're just crap.