Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

car cuts out while driving.. some relay advice etc?????

clubby1996

clubby1996
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV clubsport
ok... so my hsv clubsport,1996 model cuts out randomly while driving... then hesitates to restart for ages.. then randomly kicks over again... starts no problem once shes cold.. but as the car is driven the problem gets worse... have replaced fuel pump and filter.. have tried bridging to check for errors.. but nothing happened.. (any advice on which holes to bridge would be great,as i bridged 5 and 6 on top row from left)... so now im thinking relays??? wheres the efi relay?? any advice would help out heaps.. cheers,suzi:beer chug:

VSPantha

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS V8
The fuel pump relays etc are in the fuse box under the bonnet... drivers side, black box behind the battery (towards the firewall).

clubby1996

clubby1996
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV clubsport
hi there, thanks for that... this is whats been checked so far or replaced.... fuel pump.. fuel filter.. relays for efi and fuel pump..all leads,spark plugs,etc... its still cutting out.. mainly while driving now..either cruising along doing 60/70 or slowing down to a stop.. starts again straight away when you restart it.. cheers for your input.. :) suzi

westbad

Reaction score
Members Ride
how does the temp sensor make it cut out???

Last edited:

westbad

Reaction score
Members Ride
anyone know why..........?? just interested to know how.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
At a guess I'd say by 'tricking' the computer into thinking its boiling hot, so it goes into 'safe mode' and turns off to prevent further damage?

I know the later commodores have that feature...

westbad

Reaction score
Members Ride
would that not make the temp gauge on the dash read really high tho if it thought it was really hot??

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Yeah, quite possibly...

I don't know exactly how the systems work, but they're all inter-connected in some way, another guess is that if it can't get a signal, (or gets a really ****ed up one) that it trips into 'safe mode' but then resets when you turn the ignition off/on?

Just throwing ideas out there, if you really want to know I'm sure Holden could tell you...?

EDIT: Originally, before I read the whole thread, I was thinking CAS, (crank angle sensor) It has similar symptoms.

westbad

Reaction score
Members Ride
yup thanks for the ideas, was just curious to know why.
Im sure theres somebody on here that will know exactly what it does and how it does it.
Also interested to know how clubby1996 found out it was the temp sensor causing the problem..??