Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Towbar Wiring?

chickencoop

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hey guys

Ive just purchased a towbar, and am at the stage of wiring.
I own a vz commodore.

Now I've wired it up from the left side loom, and for the right indidcator ran a wire accross to the left side. However ive hit a bit of a snag.

When i use the brake, indicators or lights by themselves there are no problems, they all seem to work fine, but when I use them together, i get some strange results.

I thought it might be the earth so i ran a wire directly to the plug from the battery but that didnt fix the problem.

So at this stage im at a loss.

If someone could give me a rundown of how to wire up the car i would be very much appreciative.

Thanks

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Do you mean the lights go funny on the trailer or on the car when you use the light at the same time..

If it with a trailer connected and the trailer lights are playing up i would say the trailer has a bad earth problem.. If it just the car playing up with nothing plugged in then possible a wiring fault inside the plug. Is it 2nd hand wiring????

Did you get the colours right on the plug..

RED- BRAKE
GREEN- RH BLINKER
YELLOW- LH BLINKER
WHITE- EARTH
BROWN- PARKERS

Not sure if the vz colours are the same as vt-vx. But as follows
BLUE/RED-BRAKE
LIGHTBLUE- LH BLINKER
DARK BLUE- RH BLINKER
BROWN- PARKERS
BLACK/BLUE-EARTH

Last edited:

chickencoop

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
The lights go funny on the trailer.

I thought it might be the earth, thats why i ran a seperate wire directly from the battery to the plug. But that didnt fix the problem.

The car light work perfectly, the wriing used is all new.

I read somewhere using google that for the ve commodore that u need a black box to handle the computer lights output. Is this the same for the vz?(maybe this could be the problem)

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
^^^^^

No vz dont need the box. Even the VE dont need a box as i have wired at least 20 at work and not a problem

I think you find that there is a prob with the earth in the trailer wiring itself. Your plug and wiring to the lights in the car is fine..

From the male plug of the trailer to the lights on each side there will be a bad earth. I would pull each trailer light apart and find out in there whats going on with the earth..

scozz76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2014 Evoke - VYII Acclaim
A problem I had on my trailer was someone had the earth only connected to the chassis, not the plug. Quickly fixed by adding an earth wire to the chassis from the plug.

chickencoop

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
We are certain its not the trailer, Ive hooked my car up to 3 different things a trailer, boat, and home made testing lights. Each of them give the same problem.

The colors you gave BOGANV8 for the car,

BLUE/RED-BRAKE
LIGHTBLUE- LH BLINKER
DARK BLUE- RH BLINKER
BROWN- PARKERS
BLACK/BLUE-EARTH

Are exactly the same list of colors that was provided by the manufactura of the trailer.
But they dont seem to match whats in the car

In the car we have

Black- Blue Strip
Light Blue- Lh blinker
Brown- Parkers
Dark Blue -Red Strip - Brake
Black - Blue strip
Cyan

And weve taken the
DARK BLUE- RH BLINKER
from the other side.

And the Earth were wired to the chassie of the car.

chickencoop

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
scozz76

Thanks for that i think you might have provided the solution.

I did a quick test and I think I had the earth (black and white wires mixed.)

Ill check it properly tommorow and let you know.

Thanks again to everyone whos helped

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Yeah OK i not to sure on VZ but i know thats the colours for the vt-vx.. I Would of thought they would be the same.. Have wired a lot of VZ like i said above and all worked fine

Maybe check that the plug is wired right as said above.

One thing is that all the wires incl the LHblinker wire can be picked up form the RH side as per vt-vx so i guessing the vz the same. The RH blinker wire should be DARK BLUE. in your post you said you used that for earth. \So i would say that would be the problem its not getting a good enough earth..

So RH blinker is DARK BLUE,

EARTH is BLACK/BLUE

LH BLINKER is LIGHT BLUE ( has a white plug on the end of it)

BLUE/RED is Stop lights.

BROWN is Parkers

Ballsy39

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I'm in the middle of installing mine now. It has two plugs on it, so I'm guessing that I pull the right-hand tail light connection apart and plug the male and female connections in a bit like an extension lead/