Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Voltage Drop on MY10 VE SSV Ute

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
Has anyone experienced any voltage changes with their VE? My SSV Ute starts up and generally runs with 14.9v but sometimes drops to around 13.5v. This seems to coincide with a change in performance.

Any feedback would be greatly appriciated.

scozz76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2014 Evoke - VYII Acclaim
I don't own a VE but i'd say 13.5v is fine.

Best to be safe, check all your earth connections and make sure your battery terminals are tight.
Also check the B+ connection on the back of the alternator and make sure it's tight. Normally the alternator light flickers for a bit if there's a problem with the B+ connection

big fella

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS-V Sportswagon Auto
Has anyone experienced any voltage changes with their VE? My SSV Ute starts up and generally runs with 14.9v but sometimes drops to around 13.5v. This seems to coincide with a change in performance.

Had my SSV wagon now for a few days and also have noticed this, but I drop down to 12.9v. I don't see this as a problem because I have a 07 D4D Prado and it never gets above 13.5v. It starts every time without fail or fuss. Won't recharge a dual battery properly though, but that's another story on another forum.

-Junior-

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn auto

I don't see this as much of a problem at 13.5v. But you should air on the side of caution and have it checked. May be something stupid like a software issue.

Had my SSV wagon now for a few days and also have noticed this, but I drop down to 12.9v. I don't see this as a problem because I have a 07 D4D Prado and it never gets above 13.5v. It starts every time without fail or fuss. Won't recharge a dual battery properly though, but that's another story on another forum.

Welcome to the dark side big fella it's not quite the same as PP, but can be useful and also a laugh at times.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, are both cars AFM, may have something to do with that?

Last edited:

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
I am thinking in relation to the tune which would have been done when the voltage was higher and therefore may be out of whack when the voltage drops

-Junior-

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn auto
I am thinking in relation to the tune which would have been done when the voltage was higher and therefore may be out of whack when the voltage drops

Do you meen the factory tune or have you had it retuned by someone else?

IvanTheTerrible

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
VE commodores only charge when required. If not the computer shuts the alternator down to reduce load on the engine and save fuel.

Ian