Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Direct 12v iPod Car Charger?

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Hey guys,

Have a '93 VR Executive and basically I just listen to all my music through my iPod and wanna buy a car charger for it, but one I dont have to plug into the cigarette lighter (because it doesnt work)

So is it possible to somehow tap into some wires and wire it up directly? Would it need to be fused etc..?

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
Is fixing the cig lighter out of the question? lol

If not just but the car charger, chop the plug off run a small fuse (whatever the plug had in it) and tap into the ignition power on the headunit

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Haha fixing it isn't out of the question, I just cant be assed lol.

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Be careful chopping the plug off as some cig chargers have special voltage reduces in them..

I did it to my nokia car charger and it never worked again..

You would be better to just buy a cig lighter socket fro m repco supercrap & wire that into your car up under the dash and then have the lead coming out through the console or something

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Boganv8: Cheers, that could work

And thanks axe, that looks pretty cool might try it.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
axe murderer, arent iphones/ipod run at 5v? wouldnt pumping 12v-14v straight into them be dangerous? ive been meaning to get a unit like that, but yer, thought id blow something

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Let me know if you find out man, I still needa get one.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
axe murderer, arent iphones/ipod run at 5v? wouldnt pumping 12v-14v straight into them be dangerous? ive been meaning to get a unit like that, but yer, thought id blow something

i didnt have any issues, ipod still works fine. plus my ipod is gettin old now anyway atleast 4 or 5 years, i bought an ipod touch recently aswell and i use my old one for music and the touch for everything else, both are 30gig

justrhysism

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SV6
1PR3 - Universal iPod Adapter to RCA A/V (Audio and Video) Connection Cable w/ Charging Capabilities (acc-1pr3) Universal iPod/MP3 Adapters for Car Stereos iPod Accessories MP3 Players & Accessories Portable Audio & Video Portable Electronics - Sonic

i bought one of these off ebay, but i think the one i got was faulty cause i was getting interferance so i ended up pulling it out after a while. it worked great, charged the ipod fine so maybe you could look at one of these.

The interference you're getting isn't the device, it's a ground loop or something from the alternator. I have the same problem on my VS, and have tried several different chargers, each with the same problem.

I would offer a solution... but I don't have one. I have asked in the Electrical/Wiring section, but no one has replied to it yet :-(