Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Calais Level 3 dash going into diagnostic mode? Climate control fault?

BEGME2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV 6ltr
Hi all,

Got a few electrical issues with my 1990 VN Calais and they're starting to drive me nuts. The level 3 dash seems to keep going into some sort of diagnostic mode. It shows different things in the screens at different times such as Flo Cal, an electronic speedo and various other things that pop up time to time.

I also sometimes have trouble trying to reset the trip meter and other counters. Is this a wiring issue or cluster issue or something else?

Also my climate control wont blow air at face level, on the display it shows correct and I can hear air blowing but it doesn't come out of anywhere.

Any suggestions for both problems guys?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Hi all,

Got a few electrical issues with my 1990 VN Calais and they're starting to drive me nuts. The level 3 dash seems to keep going into some sort of diagnostic mode. It shows different things in the screens at different times such as Flo Cal, an electronic speedo and various other things that pop up time to time.

I also sometimes have trouble trying to reset the trip meter and other counters. Is this a wiring issue or cluster issue or something else?

Also my climate control wont blow air at face level, on the display it shows correct and I can hear air blowing but it doesn't come out of anywhere.

Any suggestions for both problems guys?

The climate control will probably be a vac line off some place. The engine bay is common place for it to come apart.

The cluster sounds like the trip computer has a dodgy connction or the switch block has a dicky switch.

The flow rate comes up when you press reset for 3 secs and hold. Each 3 modes has a function that you can set. distance, fuel flow and fuel remaining in the tank.

To enter diag mode you hold the reset button and turn the ignition to on. Then use the mode button to scroll through the 3 modes.

BEGME2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV 6ltr
Thanks mate!

I was hoping it would only be the switch block. None of the lighting works in that block and sometimes I hit the washer button and I hear noise but nothing comes out, it's almost like it's under feeding the washer motor enough power.

Problem now is finding a good condition full functional block I guess.

I'll go hunting for the vacuum line and hopefully I can fix that too.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Where in the engine bay do I need to look? I can't see much in there.

follow the line back from the heater tap behind the battery. It goes back to the the fire wall and accross to the vac ball under the airbox.

The wiper motor is going but no water - take the washer bottle out and inspect the pump motor. They are like $12 from Sprints I think. One thing that can happen is the grommet that the pump slots into can leak and not hold water. Selley's all clear work well in that case :)

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks mate!

I was hoping it would only be the switch block. None of the lighting works in that block and sometimes I hit the washer button and I hear noise but nothing comes out, it's almost like it's under feeding the washer motor enough power.

Problem now is finding a good condition full functional block I guess.

I'll go hunting for the vacuum line and hopefully I can fix that too.

The switchblock globes are the same as the warning lights in the bottom of the cluster. The wreckers would have hundreds of them. Takes about 5 mins to replace.