Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

alternator lead

xeanerix20

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Spac
Hi everyone. the alternator lead of my vx commodore was burnt, the one that connects to the B+ output and also the black plastic insulation under the B+ nut. is it possible for me to just make a replacement lead and what type of lead shoulds i use? is the lead of the jumper lead with a rating of 400amp will do? or can i just buy the alternator lead and the black plastic insulation under the B+ output in auto shop? thanks in advance.

moose man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII
I think you need to figure out why it burnt in the first place before you replace the wire.
Was it an external fire in the engine bay, or was it an electrical fault with the charging system?

ragrim

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6
ive just had the same problem today, i know its a common problem on ecotecs as ive heard of it numerous times.

i called an auto electrician and he confirmed it was not uncommon, its usually caused by 1 of 3 problems, bad altenator, bad battery or bad connection on the altenator.

xeanerix20

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Spac
ive just had the same problem today, i know its a common problem on ecotecs as ive heard of it numerous times.

i called an auto electrician and he confirmed it was not uncommon, its usually caused by 1 of 3 problems, bad altenator, bad battery or bad connection on the altenator.

how did he fix it (electrician)? did he replace the lead?