Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Acclaim Wont start BCM?

combatantsomeone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim v6..?
Ok
had the car running, switched it off and went away came back and it wouldnt start. Fuel pump would prime just wouldnt kick, tested starter motor and ran a wire to the starter motor works ok. problem is that the starter relay is getting no power (violet/purple wire?) anyways pulled the steering surround off and checked the wires on the back of the keybarrel, all had power at varying stages of key rotation except a big fat purple one (same colour as one at starter relay). Also door locks dont work and the light doesnt come on wen the door is opened and no indicators or hazards. Now it wont even prime the fuel pump and there is no power to the EFI or Fuel pump relays. Someone i talked to mentioned that it could be the BCM? or perhaps some form of factory security system? theres a small module on the passengers size a bit bigger than a matchbox with 1 plug in it could this be something to do with it?
Any help is much appreciated

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
you should have power coming from the crank wire on the ignition switch to the relay regardless of factory immobiliser. factory immobiliser cuts the earth to the relay.

you don't have aftermarket alarm on it do you?

checked all your fuses, inside and out??

combatantsomeone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim v6..?
Nah i dont have an alarm
Theres power on 1 of the terminals of the starter relay but not the purple one.
Yea checked all the fuses inside and out, all are ok

kal666

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr spack ute
check the key head transponder pin terminals are clean in your key head an your auto neutraliser switch may stop it so run the shifter through the gears an try starting it in neutral an then in park an wiggle the shifter around, if the bcm doesnt communicate with the keyhead the vehicle wont start, but it might be something simple like the transponder pin has come adrift from its holder? make your your batterys fully charged, clean the bcm terminals an check for power directly from the bcm looms if you think the bcm is the case, the module might be a passenger airbag module as its the accliam module

combatantsomeone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim v6..?
check the key head transponder pin terminals are clean in your key head an your auto neutraliser switch may stop it so run the shifter through the gears an try starting it in neutral an then in park an wiggle the shifter around, if the bcm doesnt communicate with the keyhead the vehicle wont start, but it might be something simple like the transponder pin has come adrift from its holder? make your your batterys fully charged, clean the bcm terminals an check for power directly from the bcm looms if you think the bcm is the case, the module might be a passenger airbag module as its the accliam module

Its an auto thats been converted to manual but i have hardwired the switch so that it thinks its always in neutral. Yea im a bit suss on the key i think it may be out of batterys but it wont unlock the door even when you actually put it in the lock and turn it thats why im leaning more towards it being the bcm rather than the key itself. Battery is charged and there is power getting to the BCM. It is a VR acclaim so only drivers airbag but I have the fuse taken out while ive been working on it but that shouldnt make any difference as it was working fine before with the fuse removed.

does the red security light turn off when you turn the key to the run position??

is there power to the fuses?

Im pretty sure the light doesnt turn of but stays flashing (i think)
and yea there is power to the fuses

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
red light not turning off = immobiliser not turning off.

make sure there is actually contact between the contact on your keyhead, and the slip ring around the key. might have to clean/bend them to get it to make contact.

even if the battery is flat, it 'should' still turn the immobiliser off when you insert the key.

if you leave the ignition on the run position for 45 minutes, it should disarm the system, and you can start the vehicle as normal. when you turn the ignition back off, it will re arm in 30 seconds, and you have to leave it 45 minutes again.

combatantsomeone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim v6..?
Thanks ill try that
Supposing that is the problem, how do I get the immobilizer to a point where i dont have to wait 45minutes each time?
I found a BCM and key for $50 from the wreckers so im thinking ill go and buy it and if it doesnt fix my problem ill just resell it. Also the key on mine is dodgy as and I think I want a new one anyway haha

combatantsomeone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim v6..?
Got the new BCM unfortunately didnt fix it, though i did get a much nicer key
New set of problems now
Indicators are on but not flashing whenever the battery is connected, wipers are on when key is in on position and cruise control light is on. Also security light is on constantly, not flashing.
I think I need to take it to an auto electrician looks like something odds happened somewhere :bang: