Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Ground Loop Noise from iPod

justrhysism

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SV6
Hi guys. I am having an issue with ground loop noise coming through my sound system when I am charging my iPhone.

The system in my VS Commodore is completely stock. I am using the 3.5 mm Aux input in the front of the stereo to connect my iPhone, and I only ever get the interference when I am charging via the 12V adapter, and the engine is running.

(My 3.5 mm input is actually part of my 12V charger, so I can't use it without having it plugged in. I do have a standard 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm cable, which works great alone, but I'd like to charge my iPhone as I use it as a GPS too, which you can imagine rapes the battery.)

From the little research I have done, and from these forums I have learnt that it is an earthing issue, caused by the alternator.

Thus, I come to the experts here for advice on the cheapest and/or easiest way to fix the problem. That buzzing is doing my head in.

Thanks in advance!

justrhysism

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SV6
For those who might be watching this thread to fix a similar problem, I figured it out myself.

I decided that I no longer wanted to have the charger unit sticking out of the centre console, so I wired another cigarette lighter plug under the dash, and put a noise filter on the line. The noise filter suppresses the high frequency interference substantially. It's still there, as when the iPod is on pause, and I turn the stereo right up, I can hear it. However, this is at volumes which I never run my stereo, and if I were to, the music would be so loud you'd never notice it.

So all good :).