Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

installed 2 amps but no power?

vscom88

Andrew-
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Hey,

i just replaced my 4ch pioneer amp after all but 1 channel mysteriously went while re wiring everything. i replaced it with a 4ch kenwood amp, i have wired up all 4 speakers to there channels, done the remote, ground and power wire and now neither amps are getting power?\

i had a spare power cord lying around so i connected + and - to the battery and went straight to the amp and it still didnt turn on. in the mean time while letting the car sit both amps turned on for about 5 minutes then turned back off.. im thinking maybe it has something to do with remote wire possibly..

any ideas on what i should try next?

cheers

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Weird. Make sure the remote wire is connected properly at the headunit

And just to cover all bases, how do you have it wired? I assume its a single power wire to distro block, then smaller gauge to both amps?
Are you using the same earth for both amps? Do you have the earths sanded back to metal, and using same size cable as power?

vscom88

Andrew-
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
i dont know why it was like that but i wired a bit of extra wire to the remote wire and pluged it back in and it the amp turned on. everytime i pluged it in before the amp to the sub would turn off n then wen i take it out the amp to the sub would turn back on. but yes i have a really thick power cable to a splitter then a bit smaller power cable, every amp and what not has it own earth to sanded back metal on the back of the seats. cheers for ur help mate

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I'm pretty sure theres a way you can short the remote wire which should "force" the amp(s) to turn on, then you will know if its the remote wire you have got wrong.

Apart from that, double check your earths and fuses.

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Haha oh well at least you got it goin. Good work :)