Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HID Headlights for VN

aajlin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
Hi All

Was just wondering if anyone could shed any light on having/or has had done HIDs installed in a `90 VN Berlina?

This is the product I was thinking of getting:
H4 Bi-Xenon HID Philips PL Kit - HOLDEN VL/VN/VR/VS/VT - eBay Headlights, Lights, Indicators, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 27-Feb-10 03:42:52 AEDST)

I was just wondering where you would install the ballast units - especially on the right hand side where the battery makes it difficult to place. Also I'm assuming as this unit does both hi & lo then the original hi's need to be disconnected.

Also has anyone actually installed the ballast units somewhere inside the car and not under the bonnet?

Any other tips would be appreciated!

Cheers.

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
ive got HIDs in my VR.

they do hi and lo, but the vn has an extra high beam globe (H3) which you leave in place.

as for mounting, left hand side is mounted in front of the air box, and the right hand side is mounted next to the radiator kinda of thing.

as for mounting the ballasts inside, because you'd have to run the high tension wiring back down past other wiring harnesses, with 23000v at start up, you would have massive interference occuring.

and as a final note, remember that they are not road legal....

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
I'll be honest with you, I think the light temperature HIDs typically generate looks out of place and tacky on an older model car. For something like a VN, put white/light yellow lights in and it will look right - put anything with a blue tint, no matter how mild, and it looks tacky and riced up.

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
There might be room behind the battery.
check if there is clearence there to fit the module.
You might have to take the battery out and mount it properly.
I dont no how long your wires are.

marcdon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Evec 05
At least you are looking at a proper HID and not the Chinese ones they are flogging on Ebay

aajlin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
Thanks all for the info.