Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring?

louiedoggs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Excecutive Series 1
Hi everyone.

I have had litle trouble with my 97 VT until recently. Over the last couple of months the old girl has had trouble starting. when I turned the key the ignition lights would come on, but the engine would not turn over. i would have central lock the car, then open it for it to start.

also, when I drove my headlights would flicker on and off when I dropped from hi beam to low beam, then stay on ok.

the other day, I tried to start her and there ws nothing. i called RACV and they said the Interior fan was stuck on and this flattened the battery. now i cant drive it without the fan on full blast.

Im taking to an auto elc monday, but does anyone have any idea wat this could be?

please, and help would be amazing.

Michael

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Could be BCM. mate.
BCM controls the lights and the security on the car
And the BCM talks to the key aswell.
If the key or the BCM is stuffed up it wont start.

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
A auto elec mate. (A GOOD ONE)
It could be your key as well. The key will send a signal to the bcm then to the pcm to let it no its the right key and to start up.
Get the Auto-Elec to put the diagnositc on to it.
And if it is the BCM it will tell you straight away.

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
When you say that it does not turn over you mean it does nothing right?

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Ok cool just checking
Here in sydney they cost around $400-600.
around that price mate.

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
iirc, series 1 vt still use the older style keyreader, with the two contacts instead of one single contact. could be wrong though. sounds like you might have a bad connection somewhere between the key and bcm.

as for headlights, i'd say the dipper switch needs replacing due to worn contacts. thats an easy diy job. one screw and the steering column shroud comes off, then unplug switch, and new one in.

as for fan staying on, you'll prob find its the blower fan relay contacts welded together. you'll find this relay either in the fusebox under the steering wheel, or in the engine bay. look for a relay marked 'blower'.