Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

blown fuse, trans control

justin35

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 berlina
Gday guys im new here and would like your help with a problem im having with my vr,its a v6 and auto,some reason it keeps blowing the fuse(number 12 fuse)for the trans control.when it blows the trans goes into limp mode only top gear and check engine light comes on,i had a look under the car and found that there is a plug in the back of the trans covered in tranny oil(i think this is the trans control module i dont know???)wen i pulled the plug it was covered in oil inside the plug were the connections are,,leave the plug of and the trans only goes in 1st gear and reverse??would i be right in thinking that this connection been covered in oil was causing it to blow the fuse and only needs the module and or seal replaced(looks to be only a single bolt holding it in place),,,anyone else had this problem,your help would be gratefully appreciated..

justin35

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 berlina
Hey if anyone else ever has this problem it turned out to be only the seal for the speed sensor,,what it done was leak oil out past the seal (only a $20 fix)and into the wire connections shorting out the fuse,,causing it to only drive in top gear(taking of at low speed was a hassle)you would almost think the trans was blown..If your unsure just put your car up on some ramps and pull out the plug to the speed sensor and if it is full of trans fluid,, bingo,,

moose man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII
Trans fluid does not conduct electricity, so it is unlikely that the oil caused your problem. It's possible rain water got in and shorted the wiring, or that you disturbed the short circuit when you moved the wiring the play with the connectors.

Many transmissions have their wiring harnesses and bare terminals immersed in transmission fluid continously.

justin35

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 berlina
Thats odd because every time i replaced the fuse it blew (more than 15 fuses later)and when i notice the plug full of oil i disconected it and the car drove but only in 1st gear and didnt blow any fuses ,,i then bought the seal and replaced it and the car drove perfect and didnt blow any fuses at all,,it was during summer so there was no rain and plug was only covered in oil ,,a lot of oil ,,i even cleaned the oil out and got a little drive about a few blocks till she blew again so i put her up on ramps again only to find the plug full of oil again,,and problem stopped once i stopped the leak???Maybe like you said i disturbed a short circuit but i did pull that plug in and out many times with only having sucsess when the plug was clean of oil.I guess it was just luck it stopped.

moose man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII
Fair enough. As a general rule, oil doesn't conduct electricity. That's why we use it to cool the huge electrical transformers in power stations. It was also used inside ignition coils for the same reason.

Good to hear you found the problem.

justin35

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 berlina
yeah i think your right,it just weird that it blew only wen coated in oil ,but like i said your right about it not conducting electricity..(i should have known that ) as coils do have oil inside with the coil of copper wire and i have pulled them apart to see that in the past,if it did conduct it would be shorting out all the time...thanks for that bud..

Baz7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 1993 Commodore
thanks guys. i found the same problem in my Vr ute today. i was just wondering when i go to put it up on ramps where about would the speed sensor plug be situated? baz

justin35

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 berlina
Gday there,it is located on the left hand side of the tranny near the back section,you will see 2 wires going into it from memory.

Baz7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 1993 Commodore
cheers she'l be on the ramps tomorrow, looking. it just started this afternoon i had no idea.. transmission warning light come on and speedo stopped working.. i replaced fuse no 12 and it did the same thing again when i drove down the road.. so you think if it is covered in oil just get a simple seal replacement about 20$ ?