Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

stupid vn wont hold charge

kym192

kym j
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH sl, VT berlina, VN berlina, VH SL\E
my sister gave me her vn the other month and its had a few problems since she owned it and not looked after it lol and now im stuck with the blody thing and it wont hold a charge in the battery as ive changed it 4 times now, i done the simple thing of changing the altinator and that didnt do anything any help will be appreciated

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
got a multi meter?

If u do, take off the negative terminal, place red lead from multi meter on the terminal, then ground out the black one, this will show if u have power being drained.

It should show as 0.0v if there is no problem, if its got sumfink draining it it will show as 0.1v if its a small drain

kym192

kym j
Reaction score
Members Ride
well i did that and its showing 0.00 oon the meter this is what i mean by i cant figure it out

v6lux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 (was VR) V6 Hilux
Are you getting 14-15 Volts accross the tbat terminals when it is idling? If not, the second alt could be faulty. More like the gerulator brushes could be worn down.

Whilst still idling, another test if the alternator is not charging after 12V or less accross the terminals is measured is to see if the white wire coming from the "S" terminal is showing 12V. An auto elec showed me this and it fixed a problem I had when he shorted it to positive, the batery started charging (you hear the load on the engine)

kym192

kym j
Reaction score
Members Ride
yea its only on 12.5v unlike my vh which is 14 but the thing is its a new altinator so it shouldnt be the brushes ill have a look for that white wire after i finished work tonight, just where do i start looking thats the thing
cheers

bloodyricho

Bloody Richo
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr V6 Equipe (hare) and VE SV6 (tortise)
clean the damn exciter wire terminal and make sure it's tight and the damn stock terminals break off the wire where it crimps on

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Its ur alt, its should be around 13.5v-14.4v when car is running

check the clip on the top fo alt is on there properly, and check the cable out the back is on there tight.

Not sure if these run thru a fusable link? if it does it mite be blown, = no power from alt

v6lux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 (was VR) V6 Hilux
yea its only on 12.5v unlike my vh which is 14 but the thing is its a new altinator so it shouldnt be the brushes ill have a look for that white wire after i finished work tonight, just where do i start looking thats the thing
cheers

In my VN loom, it comes from the regulator plug, over to near the battery, then it loops down the with Violet wire that goes to the starter motor solenoid.

To ensure you have the correct wire, pull back the cover to the 2 pin plug to the alt reg. It is the wire that goes to the "S" side, NOT "L". S is for sense, it starts the regulator working. L is for lamp, in the dash.

In my pics, the side of the plug with the thin White and the Violet wire that goes to the starter solenoid loom is not the side you want to test. You need to hook a wire to the White wire on the other side, that goes to the alternator "S" and to the positive batt terminal. If the engine loads-up, then the alt has started working.

Attachments

• ALT S L.JPG
    ALT S L.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 385
  • start sense.JPG
    start sense.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 493

kym192

kym j
Reaction score
Members Ride
well it was the altinator its self that was stuffed changed it with one i had off my old vn just put the new brushes in it, now its reading 14.2v and its working fine