Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR] In-car USB

redrags

Reaction score
Members Ride
walking

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
would be for charging devices such as ipods phones etc, so you don't have to go and buy all the specific car chargers cos everyone has a usb cable. pretty much just want 2-4 powered usb ports on my dash/console somewhere.

40Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
5Lt VLCalais
on ebay u can buy proper car USB chargers for 2bucks. they plug in ur cig lighter

SAGuyInNT

Mayhems
Reaction score
Website
www.mayhemdevelopment.com.au
Members Ride
2004 WL Caprice 5.7 Auto
Um.... i just wanna suggest a little big site calledMP3Car
I bet you will find more then enough information on there about anything todo with what your wanting to.

But as for a short list of options....

First thing to note that USB is just regulated 5v, So really all you need todo is purchase a USB plug from jaycar along with a 7805. And along with fusing that and a few other little things you can do to make it safer, Will build what you want and your only limit to how many devices you can charge are how many plugs you install in your dash.

You can but a normal powered USB hub that runs on a 12v DC or something with in a lower voltage and just regulate it down to that. Combined with a relay from the starting circuit on your car like your radio power switch. You can control when this has power so that it will never flatted your battery if you leave a device plugged in. Beyond that, Add a timer so it stops say 2 hours after turning the car off or how ever you want to design it.