Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Switch question

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
hey guys, question for you all..

I have guages wired up at the moment, what I was hoping to do was set them up to a switch so I can turn them on/off at will, currently theyre wired up to the ignition, and the lighting is tapped into the parker light wiring.

The VP at one point has also used a gas system, so on the steering column plastics, there is a switch, however its a.. 3 point switch? Meaning it can be Gas, Petrol or nothing? like it goes flat. What im hoping to do, is wire up the guages to this switch. Please refer to diag:

possible.jpg

Is this possible?

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
does the switch have a light on it? if it does one terminal will be for the power source, one will be for the gauges you have and the other would be an earth for the light on the switch.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
your wiring will power the gauges all the time , control the power side or the earth side . your gas switch should be on-off-on apply 12V power to the middle terminal then select which way you want the switch to supply power either in the gas position or the petrol position , your supply 12V can then be constant 12V or ignition 12Vsupply

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Hmm interesting. So, strgas, from what I understand, lets say to run the guages, I flick the switch UP to (hypothetically) the GAS selection, run the 12V consistant power to the MIDDLE terminal, run the guage wiring to the TOP (GAS) terminal, then the earth to the BOTTOM (Petrol) terminal?

deanos70

Reaction score
you shouldnt need an earth wire on it if the switch doesnt have a light in it, you only want to be either power to your gauges or not.

put power to one terminal on the switch then flick the switch to a different position and get a test light to see which other terminal powers up.

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Okay, just to shed some light on this, I've pulled the switch out to have a look.. and it has SIX terminals on there.. Im a little confused around this. Can anyone shed some light?
switch1.jpg

switch2.jpg

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
its a double pole, double pole switch, meaning its got two seperate switches inside it. just use one side of it.

and if you run an earth wire to the petrol terminal, you have a dead short everytime you flick it to petrol