Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX BCM's

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
Hi guys,

I have a VX Series II Executive. I am also wrecking a VX Series II Berlina. I have taken the Power window looms, regulators and switches from the Berlina and installed them into the Executive.

All works great, except my driver's window won't go up or down. I know for a fact that there is nothing wrong with the switch or regulator so I am assuming it's related to my BCM being unable to handle the express down feature.

So I've decided to swap the BCM from the Berlina into my car. I do have a few questions first though.

1. Does the Berlina have the highest possible BCM? I.E. if I wanted to install options out of a Calais or Statesman in the future would the Berlina BCM handle them?

2. The BCM is behind the passenger side kick panel, correct?

3. Will the Berlina BCM fit straight in and use the existing plugs that are already in my car?

4. Will the Berlina still start and drive without the BCM allowing me to demonstrate the motor or do you need a BCM installed to start and drive?

Thanks in advance for your help!

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I am pretty sure that the Berlina doesn't have the same BCM as a Statesman or Caprice.
I think there should be a separate fuse for the driver's window.
If you change the BCM it will need to be linked to the ECU before the engine will start, but maybe the other features would still work.
The BCM is up behind the fuse panel, the ECU is behind the passenger side kick panel.

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
I can't see a separate fuse however there is a different relay which I have swapped with the interior lights relay to test. I looked behind the fuse panel and I can see a massive wiring harness going down behind the fuse panel. Well I could always just swap the BCMs over so the Berlina can still be started using my Executive BCM.

I just don't particularly want to be cruising around, go through a booze bus and not be able to put my window down.... Fairly sure that's instant yellow sticker or at least reason for them to go over my whole car and probably pick on my suspension.

Cheers for your help.

PS: Nice Caprice!

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I can't see a separate fuse however there is a different relay which I have swapped with the interior lights relay to test. I looked behind the fuse panel and I can see a massive wiring harness going down behind the fuse panel. Well I could always just swap the BCMs over so the Berlina can still be started using my Executive BCM.

I just don't particularly want to be cruising around, go through a booze bus and not be able to put my window down.... Fairly sure that's instant yellow sticker or at least reason for them to go over my whole car and probably pick on my suspension.

Cheers for your help.

PS: Nice Caprice!
Thanks for the compliment.
Maybe there is a problem with the door loom, do you know if it was working in the Berlina? Wires are prone to breaking in the rubber boot.

callum_88

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec 5 spd/ VZ SS 6 spd 6ltr
To my knowledge the berlina is high and Calais is lux.
I also have a exec and thinking of exchanging the bcm to Calais so I can put in windows and electric options but would like to find out the process of exchanging the bcms.

Last edited:

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
Yeah the window was working fine in the Berlina.. I tested the loom for continuity and no problem.

Went to a Holden Dealer today to drop off a work car and was talking to him about the BCM's. He told me that in some cases you need to rewire parts of the car to get different BCM's to work. However I had heard somewhere that VX Commodores with ABS had the wiring to handle a High BCM..

He also told me BCMs are linked to your ECU and recommended I swap both at the same time to save having to pay $220 to get the Executive ECU linked to the Berlina BCM. I may also end up having to remove the dash to install a new main wiring harness.

callum_88

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec 5 spd/ VZ SS 6 spd 6ltr
What a hassle. Was hoping you can just change the bcm and put in some wiring. Maybe I'll just go buy a Calais lol
are you going to swap it all by yourself or get someone else to do it?

mushi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pac S2
Hey,

I have a vx s2 s pac 6cyl.

Mrs asked me to open the boot this morn and I pressed the remote button while it was running. Didn't work so I pressed the glove box button and this worked. Drove to the shops and when I turned the car off and tried to lock the doors, the remote didn't work. Tried to manually lock with the key but won't turn. I got inside the car, it will lock and unlock with the knob on the door. Tried to start the car and it turns over and starts but then stalls, immobiliser light stays on. Tried to press remote buttons, no luck, tried to fiddle with the connections on the ignition circuit to the immobiliser, no luck. I've read alot about the BCM on here, does this sound like the issue? If so, does anyone have simple instructions to replace it and do I need to get it linked to the ECU if I get the correct part number along with a matching key?