Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr Knock Sensor

gelousi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Berlina 195i
Hey guys just need little help, just bought my vr v8 the other week and noticed the engine light is on, did a ecu check and came up with 12 which is fine. I noticed under load i heard knocking so i looked at the knock sensor to find that the wire goes to nowere! its cable tied half way down the power steering rack then stops. ive got no idea were it goes if anyone could tell me were to look to join it would be greatly appreciated

thanks

gelousi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Berlina 195i
bump anyonee? also what pin on the ecu does it go to? does this also mean that it has the knock sensor board in the ecu because the engine light is on

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 XR6T & 1990 VN dragcar project
I was under the impression that only the V6's and HSV 5ltrs came with a knock-sensor??
Wouldn't you need to run a HSV memcal as well so the knock sensor actually did something?

Anyone share a bit more knowledge on this?

gelousi1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Berlina 195i
the 165i didn't run them the 185 195 and 215 ran them, my motor is out of a vs senator 195i which has the ecu as well because if it had the standard ecu the engine check light wouldn't be on, im sure the loom is off the sentor too but if its not can i just wire it straight to the ecu? or is there a way of checking if it has the knock sensor memcal? its got a after market cam and chip would that affect the knock sensor input to the ecu?

thanks

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 XR6T & 1990 VN dragcar project
The knock sensor is a part of the memcal, theres a thread on here somewhere with images of hakhawk or greenfoam modifiying a memcal, you can see how they separate the different 'chipsets' in it.
My mate has a 5000i that killed the ecu and he has to get a new 5000i memcal, and has it running in a v6 computer.

gelousi1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Berlina 195i
ahh ok well i figured out i dont really need the knock sensor hooked up the only reason it was pinging is because i just ran cheap **** fuel just to drive it home thanks for your help