Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with wiring this CB Radio

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
I could not find anyone with the same cb radio as i do so i'm wondering if you guys could help me with this particular one. I found it in my closet and decided i might install it.

Pics (this thing looks pretty old):

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

I have no wiring experience whatsoever and i don't know if this thing still works. So:

1. How do i test it first?
2. How do i then power it and make it turn on when i start the car? (or make it work in general, inside the car)
3. What sort of antenna do i need?

Fitting it into the car i can work out but actually running all the cable for antenna, power and speaker i am no sure about at all.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

combatantsomeone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim v6..?
i would imagine you would run the red wire to a power source, possibly cigarette lighter wire as this will make sure it only comes on wen the key is on. Black wire to ground
no idea bout the rest of it sorry

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
woah man .. i think i saw one of those in an episode of gilligan's island!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeh id say the red wire goes to the battery somehow either via the cigarette lighter wires. and the black to the chassis, the little one in the middle would be a speaker plug and the big one is where your coax connects to which goes to the antenna, it probably tells you on the back anyways, is it a 12volt unit or a 24volt one?

and for antenna's pretty much just any kind of UHF one will do. (Guessing its a UHF radio).. the bigger the antenna the more distance your going to get outta it

and to test it first, just get a normal speaker that fits onto the plug on the back connect up the red wire to the positive terminal and the black to the negative, and crank the sound up and you should hear fuzzy crackles, if ya get that should sound all good to me.. then just look for a UHF antenna a few meters of COAX cable hook it all up and see if you can get anything, and start talking to the aliens outta space!

nath_1010

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive V6
it may have a built in speaker too (or it might be in the handset) so you might not need an external speaker.

also, if it were me i would put a fuse between the radio and the power source.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Finally something I know haha. OK first things first the easiest way to wire the power up is to the battery. Failing that splice into the cigarette lighter It's not hard to work out the ground if you have a multimeter. The unit itself is extremely ancient. Depending on where you want it will determine whether you need an external speaker obviously and by the looks of it uses a standard 3.5mm headphone plug.

Last edited:

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Also just found out i need to get a CB specific antena, is that right?

It's a 27MHz or HF CB you have, not a UHF.
The box is different from the radio you have.
All HF 27MHz CB's sold now are 40 channel, you have a 23 channel. Most action will be heard on channel 11 also known as AM call channel.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
It's a 27MHz or HF CB you have, not a UHF.
The box is different from the radio you have.
All HF 27MHz CB's sold now are 40 channel, you have a 23 channel. Most action will be heard on channel 11 also known as AM call channel.

Fail I didn't notice that. You can pick up a proper UHF for cheap now days any way. If that's what your after?

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
Any more info on how to splice it into the cigarette lighter? i'll take some pics later if that helps.

So antenna needs to be HF or 27MHz. With the speaker i'll just get a little one to sit next to it.